What’s new (fish related chat only)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Oh also, we need photos otherwise your new tank isn't actually real 😉😂

Yes! Photos!

From the daughter of the almighty mod she asks for photos!
PHOTOS WE SHALL RECEIVE!!
Ask and you shall receive

Cloudy water from the water change and a bacterial bloom that (I assume) is caused by the driftwood, should clear up in a week or so.

This is most of the hard scape. I’m not too happy with it so I want to add more driftwood trees. I can’t add anything yet until my next paycheck, and who knows how long that will be, lol. Currently my to do list is more trees, and my plants 😁
Hopefully I can get fish by the end of march, though it will require driving to the wet spot which is a good 5 hours or so
5A17400C-6456-4F75-8E27-158C8DAB8EB5.jpeg

Nope it’s still full I just slid it carefully so it didn’t slosh around 😂
You did what!?
You had help at least, right!?

There were so many things that could have gone wrong... Between you hurting yourself badly, to the tank busting out, or the tank spilling from it sloshing around...
🤦‍♂️Juice, Juice, Juice... 🤦‍♂️

I mean, that took quite a bit of strength and knowing where to apply the pressure at to push it down the counter... So good job I guess 😬

Ask and you shall receive

Cloudy water from the water change and a bacterial bloom that (I assume) is caused by the driftwood, should clear up in a week or so.

This is most of the hard scape. I’m not too happy with it so I want to add more driftwood trees. I can’t add anything yet until my next paycheck, and who knows how long that will be, lol. Currently my to do list is more trees, and my plants 😁
Hopefully I can get fish by the end of march, though it will require driving to the wet spot which is a good 5 hours or soView attachment 309242
Hey! Looks like its coming together nicely for you!

If your 5hrs away, couldn't you just order them online so their shipped right to you? Plus, shipping is less for you since youre in WA. Or are you going to pack them nicely in an ice chest when you get them at the store so they can remain insulated and well protected?

Sliding tanks can hurt you, but it can do so in more ways than one. Frameless tens can have less silicone than they should, and splits happen. Walmart type tanks are notorious for that.

I needed to move a couple of tens (well, "need" may be an exaggeration) the other day, because I'd read a very smart article about using small tanks to breed a fish I'm trying to decipher. I needed rack space. I can still pick up and move a half filled tank of reasonable size, if I want to. I generally don't. I always drain til about 70% is out.

I've gotten to know a local aquarist who has a very photographic memory. She drops by the fishroom about once a month or so, and has begun to be comfortable enough to make fun of my endless reconfiguring of the room. I do tend to move stuff, always with what seems at the time to be a solution to a problem.

Her quiet boyfriend, who is one of those 'weed can cure everything' medical conspiracy guys finally said something I've been expecting to hear for ages. He asked if there were any cannabis based aquarium medications, since he was sure it would cure fish problems too. Weed is legal here and sold in stores. Medical marijuana is important, but this lad believes weed magically cures everything. For a moment, I contemplated a world where fish had "Mellow-Fix".

I was very well behaved and said the research hadn't been done yet, but I was keeping an eye on it.

Hey! Looks like its coming together nicely for you!

If your 5hrs away, couldn't you just order them online so their shipped right to you? Plus, shipping is less for you since youre in WA. Or are you going to pack them nicely in an ice chest when you get them at the store so they can remain insulated and well protected?
Shipping from the wet spot used to be free for Washington and Oregon buyers, but no longer, it’s about the same, an added at least $50. It will be better to just go down there and put them in a styrofoam container for the drive back :) fun road trip date

Plus in store they often have past months amazonas magazines for $1 😁

You did what!?
You had help at least, right!?

There were so many things that could have gone wrong... Between you hurting yourself badly, to the tank busting out, or the tank spilling from it sloshing around...
🤦‍♂️Juice, Juice, Juice... 🤦‍♂️

I mean, that took quite a bit of strength and knowing where to apply the pressure at to push it down the counter... So good job I guess 😬
It’s only 10 gallons it’s not that heavy 😂

It’s only 10 gallons it’s not that heavy 😂
Pushing a glass box filled with water is NOT a good idea 😂
I would possibly ATTEMPT it with a 2.5-5g but even then idk if it's a good idea...
10g and up is a hard no from me with doing that lol.

1g of water=8lbs. 8x10=80.
Seems like the majority of aquariums that size use 1/8th thick glass.
Fairly thin... So when you apply pressure to that glass when there is already that force of 80lbs of water wanting to go outwards... Hmm...
Then if you get it to move, all the sloshing could also be bad.
But it sounds like you managed...

That's not even taking into account the substrate and decor at the bottom that could fall and move causing a crack

I've always wanted to go to the Wet Spot store. They have so many of the fish I want when I look at their lists. Amazing stuff. What's a 40 hour drive each way...

The standard UPS overnight to here from Montreal, the nearest major centre, is $169 CAD. But to drive is 18 hours round trip and $300 or so in gas. I know you're a student and budgets are tight, but $50? Wow.

I've thought about ordering from the Wet Spot and having the box shipped to a bordertown in Maine, 1.5 hours south of here. For a 10 gallon - I think if I got into that store with the fish they have, I'd need to add another 25 tanks.

I've always wanted to go to the Wet Spot store. They have so many of the fish I want when I look at their lists. Amazing stuff. What's a 40 hour drive each way...

The standard UPS overnight to here from Montreal, the nearest major centre, is $169 CAD. But to drive is 18 hours round trip and $300 or so in gas. I know you're a student and budgets are tight, but $50? Wow.

I've thought about ordering from the Wet Spot and having the box shipped to a bordertown in Maine, 1.5 hours south of here. For a 10 gallon - I think if I got into that store with the fish they have, I'd need to add another 25 tanks.
It was $50 three years ago, I have no idea what it is now :) gas would be some cost, which I’m able to pitch in to help my boyfriend, since we would be going together, but if we make it a day trip for a date (we’re already planning to make a trip to Portland at some point) it won’t be extra gas since it’s the plan anyway 😁

If you’re ever on the west coast you should definitely go. I’ve ordered from them once, and been to the store once. Wow. That store is breathtaking.

I'm pretty sure shipping for Oregon and WA is $30 and anywhere else is $50 plus $5 shipping insurance

It was $50 three years ago, I have no idea what it is now :) gas would be some cost, which I’m able to pitch in to help my boyfriend, since we would be going together, but if we make it a day trip for a date (we’re already planning to make a trip to Portland at some point) it won’t be extra gas since it’s the plan anyway 😁

Your boyfriend will go on a long drive fish buying date? Does he have a grandmother????
Maybe a hookah thingy instead of co2 ?
The mental image.... I laughed very hard. I'm going to try to convince the guy they exist, since he doesn't always seem to, umm, think critically.

That was very funny.

Your boyfriend will go on a long drive fish buying date? Does he have a grandmother????
He does 😁 one of our first dates he took me to aquarium co op. Definitely a gem and a rare find in a man for sure lol

He does have a grandmother but not one to pay for anything lol. His parents don’t either. He works hard and spends his money carefully so that he can afford gas to come see me (a 45 minute drive each way) and take me places and I’m very thankful for that 😊

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back