What Would You Put In Here?

andy d

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 9, 2009
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello

I've been busy re-doing the tank below and just after your oppinions/thoughts:

The plan is to eventually have more plants and add some fish in the next few days. (It's already cycled).

Any ideas on what to put in, bearing in mind they need to be peacfull and wont eat the plants too much.

Schooling fish and a bottom feader??? Btw, its 3 ft (30ish gallon)

IMG_2310.jpg


IMG_2312.jpg
 
For a peacefull community?

5 rummynose tetra
5 cherry barbs
3 honey gourami
8 peppered cories
1 BN plec

And thats not even fully stocked :good: Of course it's your tank what were you thinking?
 
Some of those plants look non-aquatic, especially the variagated one. If they are, and I am fairly sure some of them are, they will just rot and pollute your water. Reasearch a plant like you would research a fish before buying it.

A bristlenose pleco, a group of kuhli loaches, cardinal tetras, harlequin rasboras and some bloodfin tetras would be nice.
I personally have never had aggression issues with tiger barbs, but others seem to have, otherwise I would recommend them too.
 
For a peacefull community?
5 rummynose tetra
5 cherry barbs

Thanks, I like the look of those.

Some of those plants look non-aquatic, especially the variagated one. If they are, and I am fairly sure some of them are, they will just rot and pollute your water. Reasearch a plant like you would research a fish before buying it.

Really? I discussed each of them and bought them from a proper lfs. I suppose we'll soon see. I researched plant care and the chemistry behind plants but as I didn't know what I'd be able to get a hold of I didn't single out any plants.

EDIT: Just googled - kuhli loaches. No way could i have those, I dont like ugly fish. lol
 
SA Theme

10 Cardinals
2 Bolivian Rams
6 Hatchetfish
6 Peppered Corydoras
 
The variegated plants (dracaena sandriana) as well as the ones that look similar but are mostly green are non-aquatic and possibly the two grassy clumps (mondo grass I think) closest to the glass.
 
They were sold to me as plants for tropical community tanks. They were fully sub merged in water with heaters, filters etc. How do you mean, non aquatic?
 
They were sold to me as plants for tropical community tanks. They were fully sub merged in water with heaters, filters etc. How do you mean, non aquatic?

Many suppliers usually mix in non-aquatic plants for whatever reason, These tend to look great underwater short term, before suddenly rotting and polluting the water.
In this instance the dracaena that you have in your tank can survive with its roots in water but is only a marginal at best and really the stems need to be above the waterline for it to survive

It is actually also sold as a houseplant, and will live much happier/longer if kept that way,

The easiest way to check if a plant is aquatic, is to see if they can hold themselves upright out of water, aquatic plants have soft stems and should bend/flop over whereas i'm sure yours would stand upright.
 
For a peacefull community?
5 rummynose tetra
5 cherry barbs

Thanks, I like the look of those.

Some of those plants look non-aquatic, especially the variagated one. If they are, and I am fairly sure some of them are, they will just rot and pollute your water. Reasearch a plant like you would research a fish before buying it.

Really? I discussed each of them and bought them from a proper lfs. I suppose we'll soon see. I researched plant care and the chemistry behind plants but as I didn't know what I'd be able to get a hold of I didn't single out any plants.

EDIT: Just googled - kuhli loaches. No way could i have those, I dont like ugly fish. lol
You think kuhli loaches are ugly??

My video of them feeding like mad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OV9ebb-4CI

How can you not like them? They are awesome looking.
 
Have to say i have 9 of them and they're cute little things, did you mean the BN is ugly (i have one of those as well dear baby delilah :wub: )
 
Ah no! I couldn't watch it all ;-)

Anyhow, what should I buy. EBAY seems the easiest way to view stuff...

EBAY

EBAY 2

EBAY 3

Are these any good? Also, is it ok just to use something like API Leaf Zone (Aquarium Plant Food) without putting food in the substrate?
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm no plant expert but theyare all aquatic and should be fine, plant fertz are also a good idea.

Any more thoughts as to your stocking?
 
Yeah, to get back on track. :rolleyes:

I already had these in mind: 6 tiger barbs and 1 clown loach
So, just need to decide what else. Would those cherry barbs be ok, are they part of the same family?
 
Hi andy d :)

There are many kinds of anubias plants available and they would look good tied to those nice pieces of wood in your tank.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Anubias_s/26.htm

I would recommend a school of corys since you have such a nice spacious bottom. There are many species available and some are very colorful and active.

CW010 Orange Laser:
11-10-07OrangeLasers1.jpg


C. sterbai:
Sterbai2.jpg
 

Most reactions

Back
Top