What to feed baby shrimp?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Finn1231

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Im cycling a tank for my goldies and just added a couple shrimp to clean it up and to start making some ammonia. One of the ones from the store is pregnant, and i will not make the mistake of putting it in my betta and assassin snail tank. Shes in a cup as of now and will move to the 55 gallon once she lays. She is super pregnant and im scared to even go to sleep because she might lay in the night and i dont want her to eat her shrimplets. I dont have any greenwater or such prepared for the shrimplets, would it be alright to just crush up some shrimp food or algae wafers? Theres obviously no biofilm in the cup, only some gravel and java moss, and all the decorations in my main cycled tank are covered in assassin snail eggs. Is there anything else I should feed them if the crushed algae isnt a good idea?

Attachments

• 40B7A294-4297-4BCB-939F-A9922CDEEEF6.jpeg
    40B7A294-4297-4BCB-939F-A9922CDEEEF6.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 46
The shrimplets will eat the same stuff as the adults. Just be warned that the berried female will likely drop the eggs prematurely out of stress, or at least most berried females will do so when placed in the home aquarium. It is likely from the change in water parameters.

The shrimp will be stressed in the small container. Put her in a tank with lots of plants and feed her flake or pellet food. The eggs will hatch after about 1 month (maybe sooner depending on how far along she is) and the babies eat microscopic organisms in the water and on plants.

At this stage, just put her in a planted tank and leave her be.

The shrimp will be stressed in the small container. Put her in a tank with lots of plants and feed her flake or pellet food. The eggs will hatch after about 1 month (maybe sooner depending on how far along she is) and the babies eat microscopic organisms in the water and on plants.

At this stage, just put her in a planted tank and leave her be.
It was actually 12 am where I am when you wrote this, I was asleep. I just woke up and the female seems to have dropped all her eggs. She seemed very far in her pregnancy because all the shrimplets had visible eyes and bodies. I only see 3 shrimplets in the cup, and i am moving some fish to different tanks today so they will be moving to a 2.5 gallon. I dont have the best eyesight so there could be more babies but at least 3 of them are swimming around near the bottom of the cup.

UPDATE: they are now in a tupperware container as a bit of an emergency transfer because mom was slapping em. Mom is in the bigger tank and I count about 4. Number 5 is gone, i think he is either hiding in the moss or got caught in the net.

Attachments

• AB523227-94AA-4FA3-958C-A0BFC768EFCA.jpeg
    AB523227-94AA-4FA3-958C-A0BFC768EFCA.jpeg
    235.3 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Dennerle do a soy-base shrimp food called Snow caps.
This has proved very attractive to my shrimp and shrimplets.
It differs from the other shrimp pellets they make in that it expands and then becomes a mush, spreading itself out, so all shrimp get some.
Unlike the other shrimp pellets, the kuhli loach, cherry barbs, Panda Garra and Dwarf Gourami are not all that impressed with them.

Most reactions

trending

Back