What To Do With Betta

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

V3rmilion

Reaction score
I recently decided to clean my fishtank, so I took out all of the plants, gravel, and water. I washed the gravel and the plants and put new water in which I conditioned, and now I plan on cycling the tank.

But before I cleaned it, I had a betta fish as well as two Marimo moss balls in the tank. What should I do with them? I live in Northern Michigan and theres snow out so I cant leave the betta in the smaller tank for much longer without a heater, so what should I do? Any help is appreciated

You could float a large plastic container in the tank with about an inch gap and that should help keep the Betta at the same temperature as the tank. Do daily water changes in the container to prevent ammonia that can hurt the fish. You could use this container water to add ammonia to the tank water.

Ideally, we would know the size of the tanks, and if you did not wash the plants and gravel in chlorinated water you may have some bacteria left. Do you have a filter?

what about a small nano heater? I just saw one on Amazon for $11. You could probably get a cheap one from PetSmart, too. Their TopFin brand is super affordable. I wouldn't recommend it for long-term use but should be good for an emergency short-term backup.

You could float a large plastic container in the tank with about an inch gap and that should help keep the Betta at the same temperature as the tank. Do daily water changes in the container to prevent ammonia that can hurt the fish. You could use this container water to add ammonia to the tank water.

Ideally, we would know the size of the tanks, and if you did not wash the plants and gravel in chlorinated water you may have some bacteria left. Do you have a filter?
Yea I probably shouldve said the size lol. Anyways, its a 10 gallon tank, and yes I do have a filter. Also, could you clarify what you meant by "an inch gap"?

Basically you keep the two waters from mixing and the fish from jumping into the tank. Since you have a 10 gal. tank I would suggest a one gal. glass jar.

container.jpg

Why are you taking the fish out to clean the tank?

Just leave the fish in the tank and do a gravel clean and 75% water change. Then top up the tank with dechlorinated water.

Why are you taking the fish out to clean the tank?

Just leave the fish in the tank and do a gravel clean and 75% water change. Then top up the tank with dechlorinated water.
I cleaned the tank itself since there was algae growing on the bottom of the sides of it, as well as a bunch of algae growing on the gravel and on the heater. It was mainly to just get rid of algae I couldnt reach

In the future, you can clean the tank walls with a clean sponge used only for your tank, make sure it has no detergents. Wash the filter media in tank water so you do not kill the bacteria. Same with the plants, gently wipe them free of algae. Vacuum the gravel free of surface gunk and debris. Never use tap water or the chlorine and chloramines can hurt tank inhabitants and plants. Refill the tank with dechlorinated water to the correct temperature.

If your algae is out of control, it is important to determine the cause and address it. Too much light? Not enough water changes? Overfeeding? Hornwort and floating plants are great excess nutrient consumers, and if your tank allows for an emersed plant, pothos is amazing at absorbing extra nutrients as well.

Leaving the fish in while performing regular tank cleanings is less stressful on them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back