What To Do With A 37 Gallon Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

onidrase

Let's Be Friends
Reaction score
I ended up moving pretty much all my fish from my 37 to my 75 gallon in the end. And now my 37 has nothing but a bundle of 5 kuhli loaches and a bristlenose pleco.

It's got sand substrate and a giant chunk of driftwood which I managed to fit inside the tank but am having an impossible time getting back out of it.

I'm really at a loss, here. I've got my 75 gallon in pretty much community setting, my 10 gallon is also pretty community like, and I'd like to do something different with the 37.

Anyone have anything in mind that would get along with the kuhlis and bristlenose? Something a little different?

thanks much.

Hiya mate, what's your water like?
pH is 7.6 and hardness is 150 according to the test strips at work. I'm unsure of what an accurate hardness rating is. All I know is that it's hard as heck.

A shoal of marble or silver hatchetfish! I think they're a little different and beautiful to look at. :)

Is there anywhere else the khulis and bristlenose can go?

You could go for a biotope or species tank rather than community.

Something cool andaggressive like a species of puffers or something unusual...

Is there anywhere else the khulis and bristlenose can go?

You could go for a biotope or species tank rather than community.

Something cool andaggressive like a species of puffers or something unusual...
If I can manage to upgrade my 10 gallon to a 20 I may move them all there. But I'm afraid my raphaels would try to eat the kuhlis and the bristlenose is just a little baby right now.

A shoal of marble or silver hatchetfish! I think they're a little different and beautiful to look at. :)
I get enough of those guys at work :blink: they enjoy jumping out of the tanks and getting ich. I don't know how much I'd enjoy them :blink:

I'm guessing that there are no malawi cichlids that are small enough to live in this tank if I did a species only of them, assuming I can get the chunk of driftwood out of the tank to stack rocks and get aragonite sand?

What kinds of puffers would work?

I'm not interested in doing brackish water, seems like a pain to have to mess with salinity and such.

A group of Pseudosphromenus dayi (Spiketail Paradise Fish)?

Got a few leads on what I might like, though I dunno what would realistically work. Some of these are brackish water, but I might give it a try. I'll be picking up a 20 gallon tank soon as well, which I could use for the remaining fishes. I also may be trying my hand at removing that log again. Anyways, what I've been looking at:

goodeids
Puffers
Half beaks
Gobies
Female bettas
Hillstream loaches
Small Malawi cichlids if any possibility for them
Medium sized predator(s)

Any other suggestions are appreciated, as well as crushing my hopes and dreams on any of the fish above

would a pseudotropheus demasoni species only be out of question if I stacked the rocks up super high and gave it a nice deep sand bed? These guys get about 3 inches from what I've read, though I've also read they like a 36" tank rather than a 30", I was thinking with enough rock mass up the walls of the tank, it'd count for such. I have 0 african cichlid setup experience though, so I don't know if that extra 6 inches that is recommended counts for a lot or not.

How about a crab tank? You will need to get all the fishes out or the crabs will eat them, but the piece of driftwood would be a perfect island if you keep the tank half full.

Crabs are amphibious and need some dry land, and are accomplished escapologists, so you need a secure tank, but are very interesting pets, well worth the effort.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back