What To Do About Fish That No One Can House?

pica_nuttalli

don't be a twit
Reaction score
i'm going to start out by saying that i don't believe that there is any real answer to the questions that i'm about to ask. but it bothers me anyways.

what should be done about fish such as Pangasius catfish or pacus that simply grow too large to be reasonably housed by anyone other than a public aquaria? you know, those monster species that we (the members of TFF) always advise to be immediately returned to the store?

obviously, the most direct answer should be that LFS should not sell these fish. but that's something that we cannot immediately effect for the fish that has already bought by the novice fishkeeper, now is it? that ID shark is already out of the wild, at home, sitting in someone's "huge" 96L tank. that fish is already doomed to a captive life.

does telling someone to return such a fish (one that will exceed a meter in length) actually change anything about the life of the fish itself? i know that in theory, it will give the fish an opportunity to be purchased by someone with an appropriately sized 5000L tank, but really: how many people out there own tanks that size? and such a tank could only reasonably house 2, maybe 3 such fish—not the hundreds that are sold in shops each month.

i guess my point is that returning fish which have adult sizes beyond 3 feet in length does not necessarily do anything beyond absolving that particular purchaser of the “guilt†for keeping it in completely inadequate conditions. most of these (with perhaps the exception of arowanas and other high-priced oddballs) will simply be repurchased by other customers incapable of providing adequate care. or even worse, these fish will never leave the LFS and will spend months or even years housed in the bare minimum that the store can get away with, presuming that the fish is not simply cast out once it is no longer “cuteâ€.

what then are we to do? i can’t in good conscience recommend letting the novice to continue to keep a fish that he can’t house properly, because the delineation of reasonable and unreasonable tank sizes is largely arbitrary. the 1000L, $1000 systems run by many of our oddball enthusiasts seem reasonable to those who buy them, but completely ludicrous to many beginners. i suppose that since 300L is generally the upper limit of what can be safely supported by most floors, that *might* be a place to draw the line. but that still does not excuse the purchase of oversized fish, simply because one cannot afford the money or floorspace for a larger tank. and plenty of commonly sold fish grow to be far too large for a 300L tank.

so if we can’t in conscience ignore the fact that no tank will reasonably housed someone’s new iridescent shark, and we can’t expect that the fish would find any better home if it was returned to the store, what then?

demon, I know that in China, dyed giant gouramis (the actual giant ones, not the ones that are called giant but don't get very big... I'm talking the 2 foot ones) are considered fung shui. When the fish's dyed coloring fades, the owner eats the fish and buys a new one. I'm sure eating wouldn't be out of the question.

I think LFS just shouldn't sell them. It's not fair for the fish or the owner. I've seen Red-Tailed catfish sold at my LFS once; came back a week later and they were sold out.

I would never eat a fish that had been in my tank for more than a few weeks. Well, infact, I don't really like fish other than canned tuna to begin with lmao.

And imho, im going the easy route here, i'd say they need to be specially requested. I don't know anyone with the means of housing a 4-5 foot pacu, 5 foot catfishes like RTC etc. I saw almost fully grown (even though they never stop growing) rtcs and pacus in a popular aquarium 3 hours from where I live. I keep hearing 3 foot maximum or four foot, etc., for both. The ones there were at least over 4-5 feet for the small ones. Not to mention the gynormous rtc laying on the bottom of the tank that was the biggest thing i've ever seen..

Any fish is bound to be food somewhere :lol:! It makes me sad, though. I saw a picture of an islander eating an adult clown triggerfish. He was only wearing underwear. I sat there and thought, "That guy could've sold that beautiful fish to the USA for $250 and bought himself a nice pair of pants!" But noooo, he had to eat it... D:

I don't suppose advising anyone to bring the fish back to the lfs will very often make a positive difference to the life of that fish. What it might just do, if enough people do it, is bring home to some lfs that certain kinds of fish are just more trouble than they're worth.

My lfs sell pacu and this huge catfish thing with a gigantic mouth. The tank is a 600 gaool tank with these ginurmous filters the size of my torso, they were bio-wheels. They also have a 200 gallon one with african cichlids. Oh the 600 gallon also has a full grown flowerhorn. It is like 4 feet. Is this tank of appropiate size?

I agree with flamingonhot that big fish should only be specially requested and you should have a license to sell them. But that doesn't really asnwer the question or solve the problem since thats the ideal situation.

This happen alot in china, I visited one of the largest fish market last year in guang zhou. There are planty of giant fish such as the one u states and many more were sold every days.

It really saddens me when I see any animal, fish included being treated badly, an lets face it a tank too small is mistreatment. I myself have recently fallen victim to buying a fish too big. I was in Maidenhead aquatics of all places looking for some kind of bottom dweller for my 90gal 4x2x1.5 feet. I was shown to a Goby of some sort and told 8" by the salesman so I bought it knowing I could do some research on it once home as I very rarely go that far out to Maidenhead aquatics so wouldn't have a second chance. Anyway upon getting him home and settled I found out it wasn't the Goby I was told but a Marbled Goby which can grow to just over 2foot in length and will eat fish. This means I now have a fish that I cant take back there as they will just sell it to someone probably with an even smaller tank than me, but I am not going to keep this in its tank beyond about 10" as it is going to start eating all my other fish. This is an example of the situation people face. Unfortunately I have no idea what I will do with him (already quite attached to him as he's very personable) but this kind of thing will continue until there is a law passed where you require a liscence to own any fish that grows beyond a certain size.

Having a law that requires a liscence is the only possible solution to it, no other way will stop shops selling these.

I feel so sorry for fish that have outgrown their tanks and their owners are too selfish to take notice. I don't think there is any real solution, other than proper education to prevent people buying fish they can;t handle in the first place. If the worst comes to the worst, the kindest option is probably putting the fish down humanely.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back