What The Heck Is My Syno?

chibi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I think I asked you guys before and couldn't get a popular consensus, so I'm gonna try again.

This is my synodontis. He is a strange thing. He's about 4" long and resides in my 10 gallon. Yeah, I know it's small. He's about 2 years old now. I wanted to share my not-so-great pictures and see if you can help me identify him. :D

dsc00010pt5.jpg

dsc00016pz3.jpg

dsc00003go3.jpg

angelcatfishcooluc9.jpg

I'm gonna try to take some better pictures today, if I can see if he'll come from (his failed attempt at) hiding behind the heater.

Search through the profiles of syno.'s on planetcatfish, Syno.s are a pain at the best of times for a true ID. Link to Syno.s. It may of course be a hybrid from a fishfarm in which case, you will never get a true ID.

Its a synodontis sp.

According to Frank Schäfer writing in "Aqualog News" this attractive breed is a hybrid species produced commercially in Russia. Younger, slimmer fish have a strong resemblance to Synodontis velifer however as it grows many individuals show a great similarity to Synodontis eupterus.

I have one. :good:

Synodontis sp. isn't exactly giving a species though... that's just saying what genus it's in. Also I believe most hybrids now-a-days come out of Czechoslovakia?

Synodontis sp. isn't exactly giving a species though... that's just saying what genus it's in. Also I believe most hybrids now-a-days come out of Czechoslovakia?

the syno is just labeled as "syndodontis sp"

Yes, as they don't know what species it is, or if is a hybrid, or if it is unidentified.

its an un-identified hybrid syno.u could pretty much call it a hybrid leopard syno and get away with it

looks pretty much identical to my syno did when he was young, he looks similar to a eupterus nowadays but didnt have the juvi markings, we think he may be a nigritia or he's a hybrid.

thank you for the flattery, but I think we should stop talking about me ad concentrate on the thread itself :yahoo:

Studz wins this thread.

This is a Syno O.

10 gallons is too small for it, and too small for an angel though. time to move up to a bigger tank :hyper:

Most reactions

Back