What stage of fish keeping are you?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ellie Potts

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My friends and I, like most college students on the weekends, came up with a step-by-step plan on the stages of fish keeping. Of course, they vary a lot, but it was fun to do. After a few days, I figured I might as well put our little game here and see if you all get a kick out of it.
  1. Still using sponge bob-themed decor. Goldfish in a 5 gallon
  2. Joining a forum (can occur at any point)
  3. "Holy **** that was wrong," first bigger tank (typical Aquarium co-op phase)
  4. Learning about water parameters
  5. Community tank, community tank, community tank
  6. Trading out those plastic plants for anubias and java fern
  7. Livebearers have HOW many babies??
  8. Getting into plant fertilizer
  9. Shrimp!
  10. Now you have 2-3 tanks
  11. Fully-planted biotopes--what is aquascaping?
    11.5. Starting to quarantine fish-suggested by shark week178
  12. Time for better equipment
  13. First challenging breed
  14. Feeling like you should start a Youtube channel?
  15. Rimless aquarium investments
  16. Aquarium clubs, conventions, and selling
  17. Finding a specific niche
  18. The fish room
  19. Paludariums
  20. Building your own tanks
  21. Flying across the world to catch your own fish
  22. Breeding your own species
  23. Growing gills
  24. Managing duckweed successfully

Last edited:
I'm somewhere around 15-17 no clubs but got the rimless tanks, bordering on fish room and tempted to start a YouTube channel...

I got as far as 12 before I started regressing. Now I keep looking for ways to use less (and simpler) equipment :rofl:

I actually almost did a goldfish in a five gallon tank. When I got into this, my first idea was a black moor, and a calico and a fantail in a five gallon. Once I learned what a terrible idea that was, I quickly abandoned that plan. Luckily that was all during the planning stage so no fish were harmed by my bad idea.

Looking at the list some of the items make no sense as written and then there are the following numbers which do not applys despite being at this for 23 years and having 20 tanks.

Items that are just silly or do not make sense to me: 1, 10, 13, 14 (not on any social media), 15 (rimless tanks make no sense to me), 18 (my house, and others, do not have a space for a fish room), 19, 20 (I buy tanks), 21 (I flew a ton for work and no longer fly anywhere since the late 1980s most in the hobby cannot afford this.), 22 (this Q makes no sense as written), 23 (just plain stupid).

But I wasted a lot of time when I was in college, too. ;)

"The great tragedy of science - the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact." Thomas Huxley.
The problem is this man did not understand the scientific method. One of the most important features of this method is things can and do change. This happens as knowledge of things increases, new types ot equipment and test procedures are invented. Knowledge is not static, it is subject to revision and advancement. Revisions and changes to what we know are an integral part of the scientific method.

It applies to something every fish keeper learns about, cycling. It was believed that the nitrifying bacteria in tanks were known to be the same as those in waste water treatments. But that all changed with the 1998 research of Dr. Hovanec et al. They discovered the bacteria which dominated in freshwater and salt water aquariums. And then in about 2005 science discovered ammonia oxidizing Archaea, another microorganism. And things have not stopped there.

Soon after the Archaea discovery it was discovered that the Nitrospira which were found to process the nitrite to nitrate were also able to process ammonia thro8hg the nitrate on their own. Who knows what they will discover down the road?

And with each discovery old information was discarded and replaced with better and more accurate information. This is at the heart of the scientific method- things will change as we learn more and we develop better methods for conducting research.

What Huxley should have said it the great triumph of science is it is always searching for better answers to replace what we though we knew. The facts exists, the question is just do we possess the means needed to discover them. However, at any given time we have to work with what we believe are the "facts" until we discover why and how they need to be modified or even replaced entirely. Scientific Knowledge is not static.

Items that are just silly or do not make sense to me: 1, 10, 13, 14 (not on any social media), 15 (rimless tanks make no sense to me), 18 (my house, and others, do not have a space for a fish room), 19, 20 (I buy tanks), 21 (I flew a ton for work and no longer fly anywhere since the late 1980s most in the hobby cannot afford this.), 22 (this Q makes no sense as written), 23 (just plain stupid).
I think the joke is that managing duckweed is harder than growing gills.

Looking at the list some of the items make no sense as written and then there are the following numbers which do not applys despite being at this for 23 years and having 20 tanks.

But I wasted a lot of time when I was in college, too. ;)
It is possible that you are taking this a bit more seriously than was intended. :lol:

My friends and I, like most college students on the weekends, came up with a step-by-step plan on the stages of fish keeping. Of course, they vary a lot, but it was fun to do. After a few days, I figured I might as well put our little game here and see if you all get a kick out of it.
  1. Still using sponge bob-themed decor. Goldfish in a 5 gallon
  2. Joining a forum (can occur at any point)
  3. "Holy **** that was wrong," first bigger tank (typical Aquarium co-op phase)
  4. Learning about water parameters
  5. Community tank, community tank, community tank
  6. Trading out those plastic plants for anubias and java fern
  7. Livebearers have HOW many babies??
  8. Getting into plant fertilizer
  9. Shrimp!
  10. Now you have 2-3 tanks
  11. Fully-planted biotopes--what is aquascaping?
  12. Time for better equipment
  13. First challenging breed
  14. Feeling like you should start a Youtube channel?
  15. Rimless aquarium investments
  16. Aquarium clubs, conventions, and selling
  17. Finding a specific niche
  18. The fish room
  19. Paludariums
  20. Building your own tanks
  21. Flying across the world to catch your own fish
  22. Breeding your own species
  23. Growing gills
  24. Managing duckweed successfully
I've completed 2, 3, 4, 8, 10 (back down to one), 12, 13, 14 (kinda, but not really at the same time if that makes sense), 16 (I would TOTALLY get into that, but there are 0 clubs/conventions near me. But I did sell my fry.), 24 (I just don't have duckweed 🤣🤣)

I am about to do 5. I want to do 9, 11, 15 (I love the look of rimless), 17, 18, DEFINITELY 19, 20, 21, 22 (maybe)...

23?... Might wait a bit 😂

, 20 (I buy tanks)
Could that be a question of definition?
I have never built a tank by sticking pieces of glass together (although I have built several ponds)
But I have bought a glass box and added my own lid, filtration, lights, etc. etc. as opposed to buying a packaged set.

Most reactions

trending

Back