What stage of fish keeping are you?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'm at 11-13 and think I'm staying there - there is a fishkeeping glass ceiling (life!) and it's resting on my head!

You did a great job on the stages, I have all of 1-11 and none above 14 :)

How many can you be at once? 😂
I’m currently 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 12.
Though, I’m always learning something new about parameters.

My friends and I, like most college students on the weekends, came up with a step-by-step plan on the stages of fish keeping. Of course, they vary a lot, but it was fun to do. After a few days, I figured I might as well put our little game here and see if you all get a kick out of it.
  1. Still using sponge bob-themed decor. Goldfish in a 5 gallon
  2. Joining a forum (can occur at any point)
  3. "Holy **** that was wrong," first bigger tank (typical Aquarium co-op phase)
  4. Learning about water parameters
  5. Community tank, community tank, community tank
  6. Trading out those plastic plants for anubias and java fern
  7. Livebearers have HOW many babies??
  8. Getting into plant fertilizer
  9. Shrimp!
  10. Now you have 2-3 tanks
  11. Fully-planted biotopes--what is aquascaping?
  12. Time for better equipment
  13. First challenging breed
  14. Feeling like you should start a Youtube channel?
  15. Rimless aquarium investments
  16. Aquarium clubs, conventions, and selling
  17. Finding a specific niche
  18. The fish room
  19. Paludariums
  20. Building your own tanks
  21. Flying across the world to catch your own fish
  22. Breeding your own species
  23. Growing gills
  24. Managing duckweed successfully
I'm at 9

Looking at the list some of the items make no sense as written and then there are the following numbers which do not applys despite being at this for 23 years and having 20 tanks.

Items that are just silly or do not make sense to me: 1, 10, 13, 14 (not on any social media), 15 (rimless tanks make no sense to me), 18 (my house, and others, do not have a space for a fish room), 19, 20 (I buy tanks), 21 (I flew a ton for work and no longer fly anywhere since the late 1980s most in the hobby cannot afford this.), 22 (this Q makes no sense as written), 23 (just plain stupid).

But I wasted a lot of time when I was in college, too. ;)

The problem is this man did not understand the scientific method. One of the most important features of this method is things can and do change. This happens as knowledge of things increases, new types ot equipment and test procedures are invented. Knowledge is not static, it is subject to revision and advancement. Revisions and changes to what we know are an integral part of the scientific method.

It applies to something every fish keeper learns about, cycling. It was believed that the nitrifying bacteria in tanks were known to be the same as those in waste water treatments. But that all changed with the 1998 research of Dr. Hovanec et al. They discovered the bacteria which dominated in freshwater and salt water aquariums. And then in about 2005 science discovered ammonia oxidizing Archaea, another microorganism. And things have not stopped there.

Soon after the Archaea discovery it was discovered that the Nitrospira which were found to process the nitrite to nitrate were also able to process ammonia thro8hg the nitrate on their own. Who knows what they will discover down the road?

And with each discovery old information was discarded and replaced with better and more accurate information. This is at the heart of the scientific method- things will change as we learn more and we develop better methods for conducting research.

What Huxley should have said it the great triumph of science is it is always searching for better answers to replace what we though we knew. The facts exists, the question is just do we possess the means needed to discover them. However, at any given time we have to work with what we believe are the "facts" until we discover why and how they need to be modified or even replaced entirely. Scientific Knowledge is not static.
It's not that deep. Besides, 23 was a joke. Calm down

It's not that deep. Besides, 23 was a joke. Calm down
Then how do you explain my gills? I flare them at you!

I took breeding my own species to mean having kids. That's a stop point for many in the hobby, with a restart later.

I've gone places where other reasons, but aquarium fished while I was there. My first real collecting adventure comes in a few months.

My friends and I, like most college students on the weekends, came up with a step-by-step plan on the stages of fish keeping. Of course, they vary a lot, but it was fun to do. After a few days, I figured I might as well put our little game here and see if you all get a kick out of it.
  1. Still using sponge bob-themed decor. Goldfish in a 5 gallon Done the goldfish thing but never the sponge Bob thing..
  2. Joining a forum (can occur at any point) Done that
  3. "Holy **** that was wrong," first bigger tank (typical Aquarium co-op phase) Done that
  4. Learning about water parameters Done that
  5. Community tank, community tank, community tank Done that
  6. Trading out those plastic plants for anubias and java fern The other way around in some tanks
  7. Livebearers have HOW many babies?? Been there and still am. There are also livebearers with less fry
  8. Getting into plant fertilizer Done that
  9. Shrimp! Done that
  10. Now you have 2-3 tanks Done that and now there are way more
  11. Fully-planted biotopes--what is aquascaping? Done that. But I'm not a good aquascaper.
  12. Time for better equipment Done that. But I like to keep it as basic as possible
  13. First challenging breed Done that
  14. Feeling like you should start a Youtube channel? Done that
  15. Rimless aquarium investments Done that
  16. Aquarium clubs, conventions, and selling Done that
  17. Finding a specific niche Done that
  18. The fish room Done that
  19. Paludariums Done that
  20. Building your own tanks Done that once.
  21. Flying across the world to catch your own fish Done that
  22. Breeding your own species Bred my own lines. You can not breed a new species yourself
  23. Growing gills Muah...
  24. Managing duckweed successfully Done that. Doesn't take that much. But I'm not a fan of duckweed
Just replied to all 24

I passed 7 7 years ago (that might be confusing) but haven't gone past that 😔.
Can I swap shrimps for snails, wait, I did have shrimps but they disappeared within a week...

Edit: I got 2 4 7 and 9. I never had plastic plants to begin with as well so anubias was one of my first plants.

1. Still using sponge bob-themed decor. Goldfish in a 5 gallon
  2. Joining a forum (can occur at any point)
  3. "Holy **** that was wrong," first bigger tank (typical Aquarium co-op phase)
  4. Learning about water parameters
  5. Community tank, community tank, community tank
  6. Trading out those plastic plants for anubias and java fern
  7. Livebearers have HOW many babies??
  8. Getting into plant fertilizer
  9. Shrimp!
  10. Now you have 2-3 tanks
  11. Fully-planted biotopes--what is aquascaping?
  12. Time for better equipment
  13. First challenging breed
  14. Feeling like you should start a Youtube channel?
  15. Rimless aquarium investments
  16. Aquarium clubs, conventions, and selling
  17. Finding a specific niche
  18. The fish room
  19. Paludariums
  20. Building your own tanks
  21. Flying across the world to catch your own fish
  22. Breeding your own species
  23. Growing gills
  24. Managing duckweed successfully
So I have gotten up to 18, but never did #14 or did #1. Not interested in leveling to 19,20, 22, 23. Don't think #24 is anything other than a myth... If you have more than one tank number 24 is never going to be an option.

I would love to do number 21 though. Fresh Water Exotics actually offers trips to do that. You can take a look at their website.

Looking at the list some of the items make no sense as written and then there are the following numbers which do not applys despite being at this for 23 years and having 20 tanks.

Items that are just silly or do not make sense to me: 1, 10, 13, 14 (not on any social media), 15 (rimless tanks make no sense to me), 18 (my house, and others, do not have a space for a fish room), 19, 20 (I buy tanks), 21 (I flew a ton for work and no longer fly anywhere since the late 1980s most in the hobby cannot afford this.), 22 (this Q makes no sense as written), 23 (just plain stupid).

But I wasted a lot of time when I was in college, too. ;)

The problem is this man did not understand the scientific method. One of the most important features of this method is things can and do change. This happens as knowledge of things increases, new types ot equipment and test procedures are invented. Knowledge is not static, it is subject to revision and advancement. Revisions and changes to what we know are an integral part of the scientific method.

It applies to something every fish keeper learns about, cycling. It was believed that the nitrifying bacteria in tanks were known to be the same as those in waste water treatments. But that all changed with the 1998 research of Dr. Hovanec et al. They discovered the bacteria which dominated in freshwater and salt water aquariums. And then in about 2005 science discovered ammonia oxidizing Archaea, another microorganism. And things have not stopped there.

Soon after the Archaea discovery it was discovered that the Nitrospira which were found to process the nitrite to nitrate were also able to process ammonia thro8hg the nitrate on their own. Who knows what they will discover down the road?

And with each discovery old information was discarded and replaced with better and more accurate information. This is at the heart of the scientific method- things will change as we learn more and we develop better methods for conducting research.

What Huxley should have said it the great triumph of science is it is always searching for better answers to replace what we though we knew. The facts exists, the question is just do we possess the means needed to discover them. However, at any given time we have to work with what we believe are the "facts" until we discover why and how they need to be modified or even replaced entirely. Scientific Knowledge is not static.
Perhaps some of my humor didn't translate without any vocal tone 🙃
Just a silly list for some fun!

I'm at 11-13 and think I'm staying there - there is a fishkeeping glass ceiling (life!) and it's resting on my head!

You did a great job on the stages, I have all of 1-11 and none above 14 :)
Sweet!! I'm stuck at the same place until I get out of college
I think using a quarantine tank for new fish should be on here.
I'll add it--for sure taking suggestions
I passed 7 7 years ago (that might be confusing) but haven't gone past that 😔.
Can I swap shrimps for snails, wait, I did have shrimps but they disappeared within a week...

Edit: I got 2 4 7 and 9. I never had plastic plants to begin with as well so anubias was one of my first plants.
Snails are close enough if you get into them
Nice build up to the punchline.
Thanks!

From 11 tanks some years back, now down to three and now moving house and going down to 2 tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back