What snail?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Even if I put them in Quarantine for over 1 month? @Colin_T said that it would be ok! o_O

I can't speak for Colin, but I would assume his remarks were directed at quarantining normal tropical snails acquired for a tropical tank. As soon as you start collecting local fauna, you are entering a very different and risky area, and these things, be they snails, plants, fish or other aquatic organisms, should not be put in a tank with tropical fish.

Most common snails found in local waterways are found around the world. We have Ramshorn, 2 species of Lymnaea, mini ramshorns, Malaysian livebearers and a number of other introduced species in creeks and ponds around Perth in Western Australia. Most of these snails have been here for years and are found in most fresh water creeks, rivers and ponds around the country, usually around cities and suburban areas. I presume they are also found in fresh water creeks and streams in most parts of the world.

There might be local species too and many of these can also be kept in tanks. However, you should contact your department of fisheries and see if they have a list of aquatic snails you can collect. Aquatic snails are not commercial species and most countries don't care if you take some for an aquarium.

Correct as far as it goes, but it missed the point I was making. It is what can travel with the snail/plant/fish from the local creek that can harm fish that do not have a natural immunity to these "foreign" pathogens. And quarantine does not remove them unless you are able to identify them and use appropriate products. It is something like people requiring vaccinations to certain diseases when they travel to some countries, because they are not exposed to such things locally. Something like, not exactly the same. It is a risk to fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back