What snail?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lee_k

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So newish tank - that i've planted - and yesterday saw the little guy in the pic below on the drift wood. He slid around and i couldnt find him to get him out.

Today he was on the glass at the front so i got it out.

What is it? - Am i lucky enough i just got 1 on a plant? or should i expect lots more?

Snail.jpg

I agree. Common pond snail. Check your plants well for eggs.

Pond snail, and this is extremely beneficial so do not go discarding them. They are you friends as they get everywhere in the tank eating all the organics (like fish excrement) which breaks it down faster for the bacteria. Worth having in any healthy aquarium.

Really? I thought they overpopulated your tank super fast, and had a huge bio load! o_O

Snails don’t add much to bio-load. They do over populate but they’re a great clean up crew. It’s funny, each of my tanks seem to have different snails take over. My shrimp tank has mostly pond snails, my tropical tank has mostly Malaysian Trumpet snails and my betta tanks have mostly ramshorn. Don’t know why. I probably have 75 - 100 Malaysian Trumpet Snails in my tank right now.

I have these snails too (and those tiny 'pest' ramshorns, black MTS and an assortment of nerites). I tried to get rid of the ramshorns when they first appeared but snail traps did not work for me. Now I realise how useful they are and am happy to have them.

How to I Quarintine a pond snail? I have 3 right now, Andy they are pretty decent size. I have had them in QT for over 2 weeks now. :)

Mine appeared many years ago, long before it ever occurred to me to quarantine plants. I just put the plants straight in the tank, then found the snails later. The same with those tiny ramshorns.

No, I mean I found mine in my pond, And I know they can have harmful parasites in their system, that is why I’m asking. :)

If they came from a pond then I’d leave them a good month in QT.

No, I mean I found mine in my pond, And I know they can have harmful parasites in their system, that is why I’m asking. :)

Do not put any snail from outdoors into a tropical fish aquarium. You live in the eastern USA and the pathogens present in natural waters are not the same as those in tropical waters, and tropical fish do not have immunities to temperate pathogens and vice-versa.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back