What size tank do I need?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ThatFishGirl6231

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello! I recently got my first tank. It's come to my attention that it is overstocked. I have 2 dalmation mollies, two platies, a nerite snail, and a baby platy that I want to keep. I also have 2 more nerites in future. I want to upgrade them to a 20 gal long, but only if it is necessary. Tanks are expensive! Will someone please let me know if they actually need to be upgraded. Thank you everyone!

You need a 40 breeder for mollies. I think that's the smallest.

You need a 40 breeder for mollies. I think that's the smallest.
I don’t think my parents will let me get that big. They are skeptical of even a 20 gallon. :( I may be able to give away a molly to my friend. She has a 80 gallon i think.

Will they let you get a 30g? (More commonly found as a 29g)

29g tanks really aren't that big.

Will they let you get a 30g? (More commonly found as a 29g)

29g tanks really aren't that big.
This has the same footprint as a 20 long. Height doesn't matter with livebearers because they aren't a tall fish (correct me if I'm wrong). But of course bigger is better.

Also try craiglist / fb marketplace for used tanks, they a A LOT cheaper, but you have to learn how to look for a tank that is in good condition. There are a couple of threads on here about that which are pretty recent (sorry I'd link them but I'm on my phone)

This has the same footprint as a 20 long. Height doesn't matter with livebearers because they aren't a tall fish (correct me if I'm wrong). But of course bigger is better.
Yes, of course. (I was thinking along the lines of "bigger is better". ;))

I have a 20g long and a 29g tank right next to each other. The 20g defiantly takes less work, but the 29g is worth it in the end.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back