What size pressurized Co2 tank to get

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Pescado Guy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was hoping to soon buy a Pressurized CO2 system for my live plants. I have a 29 gallon aquarium with an ideal ph of 6.0. I will have a ph controler. I am thinking of getting either a 2.5 lb or a 5 lb tank. Does anyone know how long aproximatly these will last under my conditions? I know there must be many other factors involved but an aproximate length of time would be great to know. Also does anyone know of a place where I could get one of these for pretty cheap? Maybe like Home Depot or Lows? Also where would I go
fill it up after it has been used? Would either of the before mentioned places fill these tanks for me? Any help would be great!! Thanks!

Kevin

Not too sure about how long the Co2 would last since I'm a bit new to the planted aquarium scene myself.

You might want to try a local welding supply shop to see about the possibilities of either buying or renting a tank. They usually carry different types of gases on hand and might be able to tell you who their supplier is, so that you can go directly to the source and cut out the middle man.

I know that they (The gas supply company) would be willing to sell/rent a tank to you and you would have a better pick of sizes to choose from. From then on you could simply just go back and get a refill or swap out the tank, depending on the route you take.

Scuba shops also carry the tanks in various sizes that could be used to hold the Co2 but they won't be able to fill them.

Hope this helps. :)

Ok thanks!

I called about 10 local welding shops and the smallest tank that I could find was 30lbs! Thats a bit too big for my little tank but thanks for the advice. I might try to get one from some beer shop or something like that. Thanks

Kevin

Ya know it just hit me! :crazy: I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but you might try another idea that I just thought of.

If you have a paintball shop or sporting goods store, Walmart or the like that sells paintball equipment you could possibly get some Co2 tanks and modify them to work. Sorry little slow with the cold weather, slows me brain, heh.

I used to be a very avid paintball player and was on a team that traveled and played at an Amature level, so we used compressed air to power the markers to propell the paintballs. But in the ol' days we used Co2 tanks that ranged in sizes from a 7oz, 9oz, 12oz, and 20oz sizes. The valves can be fitted with an on/off valve to adjust the flow out of the tank if need be. It would provide you with a smaller version of a tank and I'm sure you would have to do a bit of conversions to the system to make it work with the system you currently have or in mind of creating.

So if that's a thought that you might want to entertain, you could try a paintball shop near you and they could sell you the tank or tanks and would also provide the refills for them as well.

Just another curve ball to throw at ya! :whistle:

Only problem with painball canisters is that they release wayyyy to much co2 at once. You're going to want like 1-2 bubbles a second, and the only way you can get that is with a regulator and a needle valve :nod:

Yeah good idea! I saw some 20 ounce Co2 tanks on ebay for like $20 and thats not too bad. Maybe I'll go to a paintball store and see if I would be able to fit a co2 regulator onto one. If I could that would be ideal because its a such a small tank and it couldn't cost much to refil. Thank you so much for the great ideas!!

Kevin

Again you could remove the pin valve that comes on the tanks and install a new valve with an on/off to control the output.

But be sure and have the guys at the shop do this for you if you don't feel comfortable, since the tanks require some special care when removing the valve and installing the new on/off.

yeah my 24 oz paintball co2 tank has a valve on the side to turn it on and off, and though i usually just turn it full on or full off with a quick twist when I'm playing I bet you could turn it just barely and get a trickle of air out...

Your PH Controller is not going to work without a solenoid which is going to require a regulator.

Your info says you are in Chicago. Call the restaurants and find out where they get their CO2 from. Then call that company, and further up if you have to find out where to get the tanks.

You want the source if possible and then you should be able to get a 10 Gallon.

If you are having problems locating still the next best option is to call the companies that supply oxygen for hospitals. They usually offer all forms of gases for both medical and indistrual and will care the smaller bottles.

Ok thanks!! I'll look into that. I definatly won't get a tank bigger than five pounds because my dad's kind of perinoid that it will leak. Hahaha, silly Dad. But anyway, about the paintbal co2 tanks, because I will already have the co2 regulator and the solenoid valve I dont think I would even need to open the valve slightly. I would just need a way to connect the regulator to the co2 tank and then the solenoid would do all of the regulating. I'll look into it some more but thank you all so much for the advice!!

Kevin

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back