What size of tank does a betta fish need?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PrettyLittleFishies

Reaction score
Hi all,
Considering getting a betta fish, and my main question was what is the minimum size of tank I could buy?

Also, if there is anything you think I should know before getting a betta fish it would be much appreciated. :):fish:

My nephew has a single beta in a 1 gallon tank. I told him bigger would be better but for over 6 months the beta seems fine. I added an anubias nana which is getting bigger all the time with more leaves growing. When he added the beta without cycling, I added some residue from my established filter and I believe it was cycled very soon after. His 10 year old son feeds it, but does not overfeed and the beta seems healthy. He changes 1/2 the water every week using chlorine free water.

But a bigger tank is always better.

Hi
Tank size.
5 gallon minimum, 10 gallon is Betta.

Make sure you cycle the tank.

Heres some light reading.
Cycling

What's Cycling
The Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Fish-in Cycling
Where to find ammonia, UK and USA
Avoiding and treating new tank syndrome

Betta Splendens Caresheet

Do not be afraid to ask questions if you dont understand something.
Thank you for your reply, I know know what kind of tank I’m looking for.
Just one more main question, do you know what temperature the tank should be kept at?
Thanks Again!

My nephew has a single beta in a 1 gallon tank. I told him bigger would be better but for over 6 months the beta seems fine. I added an anubias nana which is getting bigger all the time with more leaves growing. When he added the beta without cycling, I added some residue from my established filter and I believe it was cycled very soon after. His 10 year old son feeds it, but does not overfeed and the beta seems healthy. He changes 1/2 the water every week using chlorine free water.

But a bigger tank is always better.
Thank you! Is the water just from your tap? I clean my platys out every 2-3 weeks and I take out 8 litres of the water and replace it with tap water and add tap safe and filter boost, would I do the same with a betta or do I need a heater?
Many thanks again for your reply :)

Tanks should have a 50% water change once a week if they are cycled, with daily changes being necessary with an uncycled tank. All you need to add is a dechlorinator to remove the chlorine from tap water, and most of them also bind metals. Bottled bacteria products are not needed if the tank is cycled.

Despite Fishmanic's nephew having a 1 gallon tank, that is really far too small. My betta's tank is 7 gallons (26 litres) and I am thinking about getting him a bigger tank.

Bettas are tropical fish, they need a heater. Most of the information you need is in the Betta Care Sheet link in NickAu's post. You'll find there that bettas need a temperature of 76 to 82 deg F (24.4 to 27.8 deg C).
The tank will need a filter, but not one with a powerful water flow. Air powered sponge filters are ideal for betta's tanks. But with this type of filter you can't easily steal some media from the platies tank's filter to seed the cycle so you will need to do a complete fishless cycle. If you use a filter which can accommodate media from the platies' tank, the cycle will be much shorter.
Betta's tanks should have quite a lot of plants and other decor. Live plants, particularly floating plants, are better than fake plants. If you choose to use fake plants, silk are better than plastic as plastic plants tend to have rough edges which will cut a betta's fins. Decor should also be smooth. Run an old pair of pantyhose (tights) over any decor and if they snag, so will a betta's fins. Choose another piece of decor, or sand down the rough bits.
Bettas need their own food, pellets made specifically for them. You can't use the food you are currently feeding your platies.

Read through Nick's link on the Betta Care Sheet. It will help you to understand a betta's needs so that you know what you need to buy for him.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back