What Should I Do?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Need honest opinions. Don’t laugh. I cleaned my 55G tank so I could take pics to put on Craig’s List. My hubbie said it looked brand new and asked why I was selling it. I told him I have too many and takes a lot of time to clean. He suggested a place in the fish room to put it and said I should tag the tanks and split cleaning into 3 days a week where I would clean 3 or 4 instead doing all on one set day. Made sense. I am retired. He said he hates to see me sell it. So question:
Should I set it back up, store it, or sell it?

My current inventory of set up tanks are
(7) 5 gallons
(2) 10 Gallons
(1) 20G long
(1) 29G
(1) 45 G
(1) 75G
(1) 150G garden pond

I can’t decide. Part of me says no, no, no and the other half says what’s one more. Help, please.

Personally? I would sell it. If it doesn't have any fish in it, then assumably they can all fit into the other tanks. If it is a pain to manage, give yourself a little more time to devote to your current babies, and to yourself. That is just me though, and that statement is in line with who I am. If you are a chronic fish buyer though, I would keep it. You never know when you find that new fish you're dying to keep, but your current tanks aren't enough for it. Additionally, you never know if you need to have an empty tank set aside for some emergency quarantine or any situation similar. It doesn't have to be sold immediately!

In the end, this is entirely your decision. You can weight the pros and cons given to you by people on the internet, but this all depends on your willingness to take care of this tank. You can always sell it later, just like you can always buy a new one later. Allow yourself to debate this, and do what you can afford to keep up with!

I suggest selling it. You can fetch a hefty lot for a 55g. I suggest selling it a little under what you could buy it new for.

People will also pay a lot more if you have a “set”. Hood, light, filter, even if you have sand, that go for a lot.

@Quin really does make a good point, well stated. ;)

I take good care of my tanks but I don’t even have an idea of what I would want to put in it...except angel fish and something about them scares me off. The betta tanks are easy to clean. Maybe store it for now. I don’t know!

I suggest selling it. You can fetch a hefty lot for a 55g. I suggest selling it a little under what you could buy it new for.

People will also pay a lot more if you have a “set”. Hood, light, filter, even if you have sand, that go for a lot.

@Quin really does make a good point, well stated. ;)
You can get the tank and stand with filter for $250. I’m keeping the filter so I figured I’d sell it for $150??? That would be the tank, stand, and lighted hoods.

I say split the work load over several days, so it's a minor chore each day.
I do a 50% water change on the 37g, 10g, 20, and 29g (all close together) on Monday and Thursday. 50% on the 110g Wednesday and Saturday. 50% on the 60g on Friday and 50% on the 5' turtle pond on Sunday. I use a submersible pump with Python hoses so most of the time I'm just hanging out watching to make sure I don't drain (or fill) too much.

You can get the tank and stand with filter for $250. I’m keeping the filter so I figured I’d sell it for $150???
55g tanks cost $300+ brand new. I would guess maybe $200 for a used one.

Will you be including the stand in the sell?

Can't you use it as a quarantine tank for larger size fish?

Petsmart currently lists a 60 gallon ensemble (aquarium, canister stand, glass top, LED lights) for $199.99.
Most people don’t know this. On Craigslist, people sell 55 gallon tanks for around $100. That is without the stand. The ones I could find with a 55g tank and a stand, cost around $300-$400.

Most reactions

Back