What should I do?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Seabee Johnny z

Reaction score
I have two blue Gouramis, and 1 what I think is a female dawf gourami. The dawf has developed a fat belly and is turning colors . I don't know if the blue gourami will breed with the dwaf ? Should I remove them from my community tank ? Worried about other fish eating the young if she does have eggs and if the male will build the nest. I have floating moss balls and fake plants that float.i turned off air stone.

How large is the tank? Keeping different species or even many of the same species of gourami will result in a lot of aggression and bullying if the tank isn't large enough. I've not heard of different species of gourami cross breeding, but it could happen. Even if it does, there is little chance of the fry surviving if they are in a community tank. I wouldn't bother turning off the air stone just yet, wait till the male actually starts building a nest.

Often than not hybrid fish are frowned upon (not by me :p ) by most aquarists and some pet stores will refuse to take them. I've had people telling me to kill all my cross-breed African cichlid fry, I "polity" told them off. My avatar is one of those said cross breeds, he's still swimming today :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back