What Should I Do?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stanleo

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Okay, I have what the aquarium store called a Chinese Algae Eater. It was tiny and I saw one in their display tank that was happily eating algae and I thought it would be great for my tank. As a newbie I didn't think to ask how big it would get but they did tell me it was peaceful and would work well in my 29g community tank. Now its about 16 months later and the dude is 4 inches long and meaner than a rattlesnake. What do I do? I took responsibility for this fish and so will not just euthanize it as it is healthy. I have included a pic just incase I am wrong about the species and I am worrying for nothing.

Chinese Algae Eaters are a confusing fish. For starters their name doesn't really give their aggressive side credit, as well as people immediately thinking the fish is a true algae eater. While they may eat algae when smaller, when they grow up they start preying on other fish.

There also a number of fish that closely look like Chinese Algae Eaters, the closest fish is probably the Flying Fox (Which is also confused with the Siamese Algae Eater as well).

Keep an eye on your "algae eater", if he starts sucking on the sides of other fish it is time to get another tank for him, or give him back to your LFS, chances are he will start sucking the slim and scales off your other fish, which will eventually kill them

No I don't know if they will or not. I will ask next time I am there. Thanks I hope they do cause I can't afford a bigger tank right now. Even though I would LOVE IT!!! Do some stores do that? Take fish back?

Think I will be having a similar issue as you, although mine looks different I believe it now to also be one who will suck off the slime coat if someone can confirm this for me?

image-2_zpsce83e647.jpg

He's doing a wonderful job in the tank ATM but not looking forward to when he turns his diet to protein!!

Does this time period change from species? Is length an idea of when his diet may change?

Yes, that's just an albino version of a CAE, and will grow up to be nasty. Just did a bunch of research on these.

This Old Spouse said:
Yes, that's just an albino version of a CAE, and will grow up to be nasty. Just did a bunch of research on these.
Does the time period vary from each individual fish as to the age at which this behaviour starts?

Shelster said:
Does the time period vary from each individual fish as to the age at which this behaviour starts?
They can't exactly be on a timer that goes
" okay. You're 2 years 5 days 7 hours 42 minutes and 3.4 seconds old. Time to be an a$$ to your tank mates".
;)

Shelster said:

when the fish matures....which will vary slightly from one fish to the next....just like people

Thanks, will have to keep a close eye on him and err thanks TT!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back