What Should I Do?

Tu13es

New Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I've been researching like mad for the past few days and want to start up a tank. Here are the options I'm weighing

1 - I found a 29gal tank with stand, filter, heater, light, and other assorted things for $100 on CraigsList. It would be a good chunk of what I'd need to get started.

2 - I found some relatives of my gf who have assorted fish things they'd let me have for free. That would include a 37gal tall glass tank, or a 30gal long glass tank, along with assorted filters, heaters, etc. The only problem is they have no stands, so I'd have to either buy one (which would probably cost much more than $100) or build one (haha, not likely, regardless of how 'easy' it is, I would never trust myself to do that.)

Are there any good places I should look for stands? Otherwise, it seems like #1 is the best choice.

This will be for my first real fishtank. It will be freshwater.

Help!
 
I didnt have a stand for my tank (48x12x15) and dint want to buy one as the cost was more than the tank itself, however i had a rather old wood unit , i took the top of an popped the tank on there:) as it was old furniture it was properly made and not one of those cheapo manafactured ones you get these days. All i needed to add then was something to put under the tank so i brought a gym matt (one of those excersieones for laying on) and popped it on top of the unit then the tank on top of that . Put all of the stuff like food filter etc in the unit.

If the tank is branded you could try the manafacutres websites, some sites sell the stand seperatly.
 
Ugh, I stopped at a local PetSmart this evening and, while they have plenty of cheap glass aquariums, the cheapest stand I saw for a 30+ gal tank ran about $200+. Yikes.
 
Do you have a dresser you can put it on? I would take option 2 though. You never know about dealing with people you dont know. Make sure to soak everything in a bleach solution and then let it air out for like a week. I would also get the long one, a tall one limits what you can get, i hate it >:/
 
I ended up taking the first option, actually. I don't have a dresser or anything handy to use as a stand, and while I did find out that PetCo has some relatively cheap stands, nothing that's made for a 30 long or 37 tall. I'd have to get a 55galllon stand, which would end up costing more than everything included in #1. I've been emailing back and forth with the seller and she's been really helpful so far in answering all sorts of other questions I had. Plus she's nearby.

Thanks!
 
Just go to your local thrift stores they have all kinds of old tv, plant,ext stands for prbly under 20$
 

Most reactions

Back
Top