What Should I Do With My Fish

samiam9818

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Apr 16, 2009
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Illinois, United States
Hi everyone,

Im planning to redecorate my tank this Sunday and am wondering what i should do with my fish during that time.

Do i leave them in the tank, even though most of the water will be drained? Or put them into a bucket for an hour or so?
 
I would say bucket, would be less stressful than being in the tank.
 
Ask your lfs if you borrow a large poly box to store them in, the boxes help to keep your water warm, if your are using solvents or makng lots of loud sudden noise such as drilling, removing them from the room is best.
 
How big is the tank and how far are you redecorating? If its a larger tank and you are only moving plants around as long as you do it slowly there shouldn't be a problem.
 
How big is the tank and how far are you redecorating? If its a larger tank and you are only moving plants around as long as you do it slowly there shouldn't be a problem.

My tank is 45 US gallons. I'm basically changing everything except the gravel, so i think i'll try the bucket idea. It's supposed to be warm tomorrow so i'll just try to keep the bucket near the window so the water stays somewhat warm.

Thanks for all the replies!
 
just be preapared with a filter/airpump/heater etc ... just incase anything goes wrong, fingers crossed it wont of course but i did mine yeaterday with the fish in and the water was black :( wish id been better prepared
 
just be preapared with a filter/airpump/heater etc ... just incase anything goes wrong, fingers crossed it wont of course but i did mine yeaterday with the fish in and the water was black :( wish id been better prepared


Yikes! Hope everything gets sorted out quickly. I'll transfer the filter and heater to the bucket just incase.
Why do you think the water turned black?
 
I did mine today...this is what I did
During1.jpg


They all stayed in that corner whilst I fiddled. Then I replanted the left section before taking the plants on the right out. So they could then scoot over to the other side.

Fish are doing fine. Fully coloured up and happy swimming around as usual.

Really does depend exactly what fish you have, how long you've had them and what sort of maintenance you're actually doing.
 
was all the gunk under the gravel, didnt expect it to be that bad, but it had tonnes of plants in there and i wasnt usually fussy with the gravel vac :/

all lovely and clean now and the plants all taken out :D fish are fine tho
 
glad to hear the fish are all fine!

All my plants i had died, and im not to crazy about my current decoration. I'd like a more natural look.

I picked up some rock from the rock center and plan to give them a really really good scrub and then start stacking them in the tank. Hopefully the fishies like the new rocks
 

Most reactions

Back
Top