What is eating my leaves???

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Dec 3, 2020
Messages
7,386
Reaction score
3,370
Points
113
Location
United States
IMG_1693.webp
IMG_1692.webp

Hi everyone! My tank (livebearers, multiple nerite snails, Rasboras ) within the past few months had had all its new anubias leaves eaten
Literally nothing else, only anubias young leaves eaten

Wondering what could cause this problem?
 
I see this sometimes in tanks where nothing can be eating healthy leaves. But leaves that are dying and becoming soft - different story. This is extremely anecdotal, but I tend to move the Anubias affected to shallower tanks, and they recover. So if this is really working and not just random luck, I would suspect light.

I have never looked into Anubias and ferts, though I think, maybe, possibly when I add tiny amounts of chelated iron, the Anubias darken up. There, we have enough plant experts I'd expect a better answer than mine.

I have dozens of Anubias in many different tanks, all descended from 2 or 3 I got years ago. I think there's a balance between low light and too low light. My warning isn't the loss of pieces of leaves, but a very slight yellowing that comes before.
 
My rainbows make light work of young anubias leaves 🤷🏻‍♀️ I've given up trying to grow it my tank
 
IMG_1754.webp

This is so weird! Something is rasping my leaves, reminds me of nerite snails but I thought they only ate algae
 
Are you sure they're bite marks and not a manganese deficiency sign? 🤔
 
Are you sure they're bite marks and not a manganese deficiency sign? 🤔
Hmm, could be, but usually deficiencies have more of a pattern outwards from the leaf veins.
It seems like damage from a snail since I believe they were eating the algae off the leaves but scraped too hard and damaged the leaf too…
 

Most reactions

Back
Top