What Sex Are My Angelfish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MyFishKaren

Reaction score
I have two angelfish, I am thinking of getting another but don't know if Im restricted based on their sexes. I have three questions: What are their sexes? If they are M/F, can they breed? And, should I caution myself as to the sex of a third angel fish?

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    925.8 KB · Views: 366
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    664.9 KB · Views: 342
They are probably too young to tell. When mature (about 3inches long) the males usually get a more rounded forehead and females usually get fatter. If they breed the males have a longer thinner ovipositor (egg laying tube) and the females have short wider ovipositors. However, the ovipositor is only visible just before the fish breed and while they are breeding.

If you want to breed angelfish, get 8-10 young fish and grow them up together. When they mature they will pair off and you move each pair into their own breeding tank, where they spend the rest of their lives.
Alternatively when 2 fish pair off you remove the other angels and leave the original pair where they are.

If you have a mature pair and introduce another angel it will probably get bashed. If the fish are all young then add 3 or 4 more at the same time and let them grow up together.

Aye, too young to say. They're not that easy to sex. Even the experts have been caught out by "males" laying eggs.

As Colin says, they're shoaling, but territorial when breeding, so they're best in a pair, or shoal. You can, in theory, keep one, but they're happier in a group.

I wouldn't add a third, unless you've got space to add another 4+. If they do pair off you'll need to move the gooseberry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back