What reading of nitrite does this appear to be?

Tuesday I removed most of those fertiliser pellets, today for the first time in more than 2 weeks, water has been testing at zero nitrites.... at last! Sadly, a day too late for one female guppy, will be kicking myself for a long time since she seems to have died of nitrite poisoning. Have learned my lesson there, even large daily changes aren't enough when nitrites keep going that high. If I face something like this again, I'll use Prime or aquarium salt to handle it in between water changes.

Will test the water again tonight and do another change if needed, hoping it won't though, since I've just done 17 days in a row of large daily changes. Never cheap out on plant fertilisers! It's so not worth it.

Think I'll try the TNC root plugs next, they're a good price,last for six months, and you haven't had any problems with them have you @mbsqw1d ? How many do you usually use?

I'll be waiting a while before adding anything else to the tank though, this has been a nightmare.

But I also saw my one blue female shrimp today, and she's been carrying eggs for a while now. Today? No eggs. Hoping against hope that that means she's dropped some baby shrimplets in there! Would be the first lot since they were poisoned by plants and moved to this tank. Fingers crossed for some good news at last.

Second day in a row with zero nitrites!

Removing most of the fertiliser seems to have solved the problem. Another lesson learned the hard way! Don't cheap out on plants or fertilisers.

Yeah, sometimes when it comes to this expensive hobby of ours, you do get what you pay for sometimes! :/

But I think it was good for everyone who has read your thread about this as hopefully they will have learned about root tabs and the dangers of nitrite, even if it was at your costs.

But on the plus side, yaaay, no nitrite readings and no water change, bet you’re glad about that now :thumbs:

Yeah, sometimes when it comes to this expensive hobby of ours, you do get what you pay for sometimes! :/

But I think it was good for everyone who has read your thread about this as hopefully they will have learned about root tabs and the dangers of nitrite, even if it was at your costs.

But on the plus side, yaaay, no nitrite readings and no water change, bet you’re glad about that now :thumbs:
Great news - two days no zero nitrites! :drink:
Yep, I'm happy to share my mistakes if it helps others avoid them!

I'm over the moon to have had two days in a row without needing a water change!! :D I would have kept it up as long as I needed to, but 17 days in a row was already getting a bit much. Gotta do the 57 gallon tomorrow though, no rest for the wicked with MTS! But even a two day break was nice, lol. Will keep an eye on it for a while longer though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back