What reading of nitrite does this appear to be?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
DSCF3446.JPG
DSCF3443.JPG

Same sample. @Ch4rlie ? @mbsqw1d ?

I've never used that test to be honest, but I'd say its above 2?

What's your PH?

I've never used that test to be honest, but I'd say its above 2?

What's your PH?
pH is 7,6.

But if it were really 2ppm (which is also what I think it looks like!) the fish would be gasping and have red gills by now, right? Since nitrite blocks the ability for their blood to carry oxygen? Or they'd be dead. I don't actually know the level where you'd really see the effects of nitrite poisoning. @essjay ?

This is the guppy/shrimp tank that I'm doing large daily water changes on, and has been going through a mini cycle for more than 10, 11 days now. Single sponge filter that's been established for more than a month, canister filter that was added Monday.

Yet every day, nitrites read at this level again. But fish and shrimp behaving normally, not stressed, gasping or dying. If it's really reaching 2ppm between the daily water changes, why aren't the reacting to it at all? Wondered if I'm mis-reading the test.

Also tank is heavily planted, plants growing well, even newborn fry alive and well in there.
I'm going to keep up with the water changes of course, until this reads at zero, I'm just confused about continuing to get high nitrites day after day, with a relatively light bioload and I'm feeding really lightly, no dead or dying plants, no dead fish or shrimp in there, substrate is clean.

Stock: four adult guppies, eight 2 month old fry, red cherry shrimp.
Took these photos right after taking this sample. These guys aren't stressing or reacting :unsure:
DSCF3409.JPG
DSCF3379.JPG
DSCF3375.JPG
DSCF3388.JPG
DSCF3398.JPG

Think it’s nearer 0.50ppm to 1.0ppm, not as dark as 2ppm imho.
Thank you! It's definitely lighter than it has been on some days, some days the colour has been quite intense. To me, the shade looks close to the 2ppm, but not as deeply coloured as it sometimes is, so must not be as strong.

But even at 1ppm, shouldn't the shrimp be freaking out?

Ah, looking down the tube is more accurate is it?

Would have thought that make make the colours darker looking down the length of tube into water.

But if that’s the case, interesting.

Ah, looking down the tube is more accurate is it?

Would have thought that make make the colours darker looking down the length of tube into water.

But if that’s the case, interesting.
If the card is designed that way, API have done their card so the tubes are to be viewed from the side. I was a touch suprised they decided to go that route, I was expecting to look down the tube.

If the card is designed that way, API have done their card so the tubes are to be viewed from the side. I was a touch suprised they decided to go that route, I was expecting to look down the tube.
When I take the cap off and look down the tube, it looks like 2ppm to me.
It seems to have that pinkish tinge that 2-5ppm have.

Does anyone know at what level of nitrite fish and/or shrimp begin to suffer ill effects?
I only want to know because this is puzzling, I'm still doing my utmost to get it to zero and to stay at zero with 80-85% water changes every day for almost two weeks now. I'm really confused why nitrites keep getting so high, in a previously cycled tank, relatively light bioload, and zero ammonia.

I think it's much lighter than readings I got and judged to be 2ppm or 2+. So I'd say it's more likely 0.5ppm-1ppm.

I wish they had a digital reading :rofl: I hate the guesswork.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200927_122836.jpg
    MVIMG_20200927_122836.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20200926_144705.jpg
    IMG_20200926_144705.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 98
  • MVIMG_20200926_144635.jpg
    MVIMG_20200926_144635.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 100

Most reactions

trending