What kind of worm is this? (Pictures)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MumbleBop

Reaction score
Hi,

Over the past few days, one of my Endler guppies has been looking slightly bloated and lethargic. Yesterday, she looked pretty rough, so I euthanized her using cIove oil. I let her sit in the tub overnight to make sure she's really dead before I'd flush her.

This morning, the fish was indeed very dead. Floating next to her was an equally dead worm, about 2 cm long. (See pics.)

Some of the other fish are looking a bit pale and thin, so I'm planning to buy some kind of deworming medicine.

Here's where I need your help. What kind of medicine should I get - for tapeworms or for roundworms? (Or can I do both at once?) I'd rather not stress the fish more than necessary. In addition, there's snails and shrimps in the tank.

To me, the worm looks kind of segmented, so I'm leaning towards tapeworm, but I'm far from sure. Also, I've been staring at fish buttholes all night and still have not seen any worms sticking out.

What do you guys think?

20210209_112342.jpg

20210209_112334.jpg

Which medications are available to you?

If you can source a medication containing flubendazole, that kills both flat worms (tapeworms) and round worms (such as camallanus worms). In the UK I would recommend NT Labs Anti Fluke and Wormer, or possibly Wormer Plus (which is a powder and hard to dose in small tanks) but I don't know if they are available in Sweden.

If you can't source flubendazole, levamisole kills round worms and praziquantel kills flat worms. eSHa makes two meds - gdex containing praziquantel and ndx containing levamisole.

NEVER flush fish down the drain/ toilet. If they have a disease, it can get into local waterways and infect native fishes, many of whom don't have any resistance to aquarium fish diseases.

Which medications are available to you?

If you can source a medication containing flubendazole, that kills both flat worms (tapeworms) and round worms (such as camallanus worms). In the UK I would recommend NT Labs Anti Fluke and Wormer, or possibly Wormer Plus (which is a powder and hard to dose in small tanks) but I don't know if they are available in Sweden.

If you can't source flubendazole, levamisole kills round worms and praziquantel kills flat worms. eSHa makes two meds - gdex containing praziquantel and ndx containing levamisole.
Thank you! I managed to find flubendazole and will try it out. Fingers crossed!

NEVER flush fish down the drain/ toilet. If they have a disease, it can get into local waterways and infect native fishes, many of whom don't have any resistance to aquarium fish diseases.
Thanks! I should have realized that myself... I won't flush a fish ever again.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back