What kind of sand is this?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi guys, Can anyone Identifies this sand? What kind of sand is this?
I bought this sand (they call it river sand) from the internet, I wanted to know if I got scammed or not.

Attachments

• AF223DF9-DE99-4182-A58D-398DD62A3DF4.jpeg
    AF223DF9-DE99-4182-A58D-398DD62A3DF4.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 96
  • F2805099-6F19-465E-B126-AA8AED433790.jpeg
    F2805099-6F19-465E-B126-AA8AED433790.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 106
There was no picture of link... will you please try to upload it again?

It may be “river” sand, but I am not 100% sure. Where is the link that you got it from?

If they just collected it from a river and didn’t wash it or anything, I would be very wary about putting it in my tank, as it may have small creatures, or microorganisms in it.

It may be “river” sand, but I am not 100% sure. Where is the link that you got it from?

If they just collected it from a river and didn’t wash it or anything, I would be very wary about putting it in my tank, as it may have small creatures, or microorganisms in it.
Yeah, I added in the tank about 2 months ago and lots of fish died
Lots of them have sand in their guts for some reason, even my pleco died. I removed them and now its in the bucket.

@PheonixKingZ here’s the link, um can you read Thai? https://shopee.co.th/ทรายแม่น้ำ-4-กิโลกรัม-ปูเสฉวน-i.57558100.2557955581

Maybe they had sand in their guts because they were trying to sift through the sand and eat the bugs? I’m not sure...

I am fairly certain it is real river sand, but I am also certain it is not clean sand - that is why your fish died...

Maybe they had sand in their guts because they were trying to sift through the sand and eat the bugs? I’m not sure...

I am fairly certain it is real river sand, but I am also certain it is not clean sand - that is why your fish died...
Do you think it’s dangerous for pleco?

Is it possible to clean all of it?

I would honestly just start over. Is it possible for you to get play sand where you live? (Quikrite is the best)

It is clean, cheap, and safe. (And yes, if your other fish died after you added the sand, I would say it’s very dangerous to your pleco - remove it immediately and move him to another safe tank. One that is big enough of course)

I would honestly just start over. Is it possible for you to get play sand where you live? (Quikrite is the best)

It is clean, cheap, and safe. (And yes, if your other fish died after you added the sand, I would say it’s very dangerous to your pleco - remove it immediately and move him to another safe tank. One that is big enough of course)
No, play sand here is basically the same as sea sand.

I have to pay almost 40$ for that sand:dunno:

I'm certainly no expert, but if I were you I would probably try throroughly rinsing it and then boiling it and rinsing again. Usually to rinse sand I will put it in a large bucket, shove a hose to the bottom and let it run for a while, occasionally stirring everything up.

I'd be worried about using bleach or other cleaners on the sand because I imagine it would be hard to ensure it's all washed out afterwards, which is why I would probably go the boiling route. I'm not sure if there are negative consequences to boiling the sand, but I can't think of any there could be off the top of my head. But I doubt many, if any, organisms on the sand could survive the boiling process.

Take 2 buckets (or even cups or mugs). Put an inch of sand in the bottome of 1 and leave the other bare. After (at least) 24 hours measure the pH, GH and KH of the water in each container. If they are the same its probably fine - but may need lots of rinsing.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back