What kind of plants do apple snails hate?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gale

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I just got this snail last night and I am very sure it's the bridgesii type that supposedly won't eat my plants, yet I saw it eating the leaves and now I have one uprooted plant and one broken off in the middle. The plant is a hygrophilia polysperma which is apparently tasty to an apple snail. It hasn't bothered my anubias nana...yet. So I don't mind getting plants that he hates so I don't end up spending a lot of $$ on what ends up being snail food. Any ideas? It's about medium light although I'm having trouble with cyanobacteria so I'm leaving the light off most of the time right now. It does get lots of natural light during the day still. thanks!!

Java fern and Anubias are generally ok, anything with tough leaves. [EDIT: Java fern are also low to medium light]

Jon

Thanks. I decided to offer him in the fsot section first and if I get no takers, I'll do some plant rearranging. In the meantime he's in a rubbermaid tub.

Just out of interest, is it a golden apple or black (or other) apple snail. I have golden and black and the golden never even look at the plants but the black cant get enough leaf. They are both the same species pomacea brigisii. Just different colour morphs.

Jon

jflowers said:
Just out of interest, is it a golden apple or black (or other) apple snail. I have golden and black and the golden never even look at the plants but the black cant get enough leaf. They are both the same species pomacea brigisii. Just different colour morphs.

Jon
it's black/other. Here's a pic. He's not very fancy but I just wanted something interesting to clean the walls.

snail7jo.jpg

HEHE, yep, they are called black apple snails here, and though they are the same species as the golden, munch plants all day long, may be something in thier anatomy that needs plants that the golden does not? Not sure. But I have both and the golden (yellow) are 100% plant friendly, the blacks are 100% NOT and could reduce a leaf of a large plant to nothing in minutes.

The goldens are easy to tell as the soft part that you can see on the glass is light yellow - white and then shell is yellow. Your pic, body is not light coloured and the shell is dark, though goldens (one of mine) may have algae growing on the shell and resemble blacks.

HTH

Jon

rain- said:
Looks more like Pomacea canaliculata to me.

pomacea_can_frontv.jpg

But we'd need to see the spire first to give 100% id.
Here's more help to help identify them: Applesnail.net - Apple snail species

P. canaliculata is a plant terrorist :crazy:
I thought that too but on that variety the pointy part is very small compared to the rest of the shell and on the one I have it is pretty big. I'll try to get a better pic.

I'm pretty sure i saw at least one of my goldens helping to do in my purple waffle plant. In fact come to think of it, that poor plant got munched no matter what tank i put it in, even the one with just 2 goldens and a betta.
Oh well, maybe that's what i get for buying a plant named after food. It makes me hungry for purple waffles too.
My elodea type stuff usually survives snails of any kind that i have, and I think they mostly just lick the aponogetons.

Definitely a canaliculata. Quite a plant muncher - the most annoying thing is when they eat the base of a plant killing it all in one fell swoop! I had a Cannulicata in my main tank as well, when I was starting as I didn't think my plants were that special but boy did I miss them! They do however, grow big and can be fun on their own if you wish to set up another tank.

Most reactions

trending

Back