What kind of geophagus are these ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
My last tank additions didnā€™t go so well so Iā€™m looking at a pair of geophagus, thatā€™s all they are labelled in the shop , I know there are many different types of geophagus but I canā€™t seem to figure out what type these are , any help is great

Attachments

• FEF21E92-64B4-4760-BA3C-A096EFBEA259.jpeg
    FEF21E92-64B4-4760-BA3C-A096EFBEA259.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 177
Kind of looks like a Geophagus altifrons. @Wills?
They are young , around 3inches so I donā€™t know if they will colour up different as they grow I just canā€™t pin point what they are

They are young , around 3inches so I donā€™t know if they will colour up different as they grow I just canā€™t pin point what they are
That's the issue. Hard to tell without mature and not stressed colors.

I think they are Altifrons but not sure - Iā€™d recommend a group of at least 4 of them as they are a gregarious cichlid. Altifrons are quite a large growing species I wonder if something like Winemilleri would be better which get a few inch smaller but still big fish.

Iā€™d struggle to recommend adding anything to this tank with your Oscar though... you might be best trying to find some adults that need rehoming? It wasnā€™t really aggressive as just predatory so I worry any new additions may be seen as food if they are too small...

I think they are Altifrons but not sure - Iā€™d recommend a group of at least 4 of them as they are a gregarious cichlid. Altifrons are quite a large growing species I wonder if something like Winemilleri would be better which get a few inch smaller but still big fish.

Iā€™d struggle to recommend adding anything to this tank with your Oscar though... you might be best trying to find some adults that need rehoming? It wasnā€™t really aggressive as just predatory so I worry any new additions may be seen as food if they are too small...
Iv rehomed my Oscar this morning as it was starting to go after my eba , I feel really bad as this afternoon a lonely Columbian tetra comes out so Iā€™m going to have to get more of them now as well

They are surinamensis apparently according to the breeder iv picked myself a pair to collect tomorrow along with 6 more Columbian tetra as I canā€™t leave 1 on its own , is a pair going to be ok or would a third be better

They are surinamensis apparently according to the breeder iv picked myself a pair to collect tomorrow along with 6 more Columbian tetra as I canā€™t leave 1 on its own , is a pair going to be ok or would a third be better
I think 4 would be best, so not one is getting beat up on. The more the better with them.

I think 4 would be best, so not one is getting beat up on. The more the better with them.
4 would need my whole tank volume 500l according to a tank calculator itā€™s also saying Iā€™m 35% full with 4 electric blue acara and sailfin pleco does that sound about right

4 would need my whole tank volume 500l according to a tank calculator itā€™s also saying Iā€™m 35% full with 4 electric blue acara and sailfin pleco does that sound about right
It would probably be alright because the EBA can stand up for themselves and no one bothers a plec. As long as you keep up with your water changes I don't see it going wrong. @Wills can give some more insight!

They are Surinamensis type but wonā€™t be surinamensis as they donā€™t get collected or bred anymore usually they are Altifrons but could be (sorry for spelling) discrozeter. Really sad about your Oscar but think itā€™s for the best - Geos do much better in groups so I would think about getting more than two

Not sure I agree with the calculator in that respect - adult Geophagus size is so varied due to a number of factors but you can usually assume over 8 inches for Altifrons, they are also very slow growing like it will take 3+ years to get to adult size. I would be quite happy with 4 Geos and 4 EBAs in there but I would say that would be your limit.

Are you getting these Geos because they are there or because you specifically want them? I only say that as Altifrons are the least colourful, and those sold under the name of Surinamensis are usually farmed without the best colours. Tapajo Red Heads, Neambi, Winemilleri are all much more colourful, I personally prefer Satanopercas now as well Daemons in full colour are stunning.

Then it would be fleshing the stocking out with other fish but with your Oscar gone it would mean you have more options.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Back