What kind of fish can I get.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Christina88

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I know people on here are so helpful and very great with fish.
So to my fish friends I have a question.
I have a 36 gallon tank and I only have 4 dalmatian Molly's that are about 4 months old or so, they were born in my tank lol, I have one clown pleco, some live plants. I would love some more fish in my tank. I don't know what kind or how many.

Hey everyone!
I know people on here are so helpful and very great with fish.
So to my fish friends I have a question.
I have a 36 gallon tank and I only have 4 dalmatian Molly's that are about 4 months old or so, they were born in my tank lol, I have one clown pleco, some live plants. I would love some more fish in my tank. I don't know what kind or how many.
Hnm...neons and guppies are a good choice for aquariums but make sure to get atleast 6 each. Also zebra loaches are very cool to have in your tank and they are also schooling fish.

Hnm...neons and guppies are a good choice for aquariums but make sure to get atleast 6 each. Also zebra loaches are very cool to have in your tank and they are also schooling fish.
Also, HOW COULD I FORGET?, my favourite fish, dojo loaches aka weather loaches, not only they are very cool but also they can predict storms, I mean how cool is that? If you want a dojo loach buy atleast 2.

Also, HOW COULD I FORGET?, my favourite fish, dojo loaches aka weather loaches, not only they are very cool but also they can predict storms, I mean how cool is that? If you want a dojo loach buy atleast 2.
How do they predict a storms? Do they hind or something?

Those loaches can grow to almost a foot long, no way it would work in a 36G.
It would eat the mollies, as well.

Those loaches can grow to almost a foot long, no way it would work in a 36G.
It would eat the mollies, as well.
Wow that's a big fish and yea I don't want my fish to be dinner. Lol
Does anyone know anything about axolotl? Someone told me they are cool but I don't know if they are fish friendly

Neon Tetras should not be kept with any livebearer species. Tetras are soft water fish, while livebearers are hard water fish. If you keep soft water fish in hard water (and vise versa) complications can arise.

@Christina88, do you happen to know the hardness of your water?

Wow that's a big fish and yea I don't want my fish to be dinner. Lol
Does anyone know anything about axolotl? Someone told me they are cool but I don't know if they are fish friendly
Definitely not fish friendly. They will eat most anything.

They also are not a tropical species, meaning they will need a chiller, which can be very expensive.

It is possible (and quite fun) to keep Axolotls, but they are very fragile and easily die if kept in the incorrect conditions. :/

Definitely not fish friendly. They will eat most anything.

They also are not a tropical species, meaning they will need a chiller, which can be very expensive.

It is possible (and quite fun) to keep Axolotls, but they are very fragile and easily die if kept in the incorrect conditions. :/
Oh ok thanks.

Axolotls should be kept in a species-only tank, not mixed with fish.

How do you check the hardest of your water?
First thing to try is your water provider's website. If they give your hardness, look for a number and the unit of measurement (there are several)

If it's not there, take a sample of tap water to a fish store and ask them to test it for GH. Again you need a number and the unit of measurement. But if they use strips to test it, you need to be aware that some brands don't measure very high. They measure soft water OK, but if the hardness is over a certain level, all they can say is it's somewhere higher than the highest the tester measures.

As a final resort, you can buy GH testers. Liquid testers are more accurate than strips - and some strips don't measure very high.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.
Tetras, barbs, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm).

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back