What kind of cory?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Phantom Thief

Population Control Volunteer
Reaction score
Hi,

At last, my pleco died. Tried as i did, i couldnt save it. I have a 10g tank. In it is 1 betta and 6 guppies (dont tell me my betta will eat the guppies, it never bothered the guppies NOR their fry, ok?). Lithril advised me to get 3 corys. So my questions:

1. Are there any nice corys that will not outgrow this 10g tank?
2. Are there any specific food needs? Im feeding my other fish on pellets that float but for my pleco, i crushed them so that some sink and some float so all could eat.
3. Will they bother my betta?
4. Are there corys that swim on the bottom cos my betta and guppies wim on top so i wanna get fishes that swim down there.
5. I live in malaysia. Do u think i can get them here?
6. Will there be temp probs?

Ummm...all cories tend to stay small around the 1-3 inch area.

They will eat the pellets if you crush them small enough. And I mean REALLY small. If it is too big, they will just spit it out. Or, just get a block of bloodworms once in a while. Guppies, bettas, AND cories all enjoy bloodworms. And the cories will eat them off the ground so you won't have to worry about the leftover food mess anymore! :D

Cories are peaceful and will get along with many fish. If the guppies don't bother him, i'm guessing that a few cories certaintly won't.

All cories are bottomfeeders, and will search the gravel fror leftover food a lot. They might occationally swim above the gravel and on the plants, along the glass of the tank, or go to the surface to get a gulp of air. They can breathe air directly too, just like your betta. They are mostly on the gravel, though, either searching for food or resting.

Don't know. You'll have to check for yourself.

Cories are tropical fish, and guppies plus bettas are tropical too. If the guppies and betta are doing fine right now, i'd say to leave the temp. alone. I have guppies and cories, and they both prefer warm water.

Hope this helps!

Thanks FBG

I definitely fell like getting cories now. But i read they are schooling fish, so how many can i get with the other fish and my tank capacity and all that. And, unfortunately i want to get gravel, but i read that they need sand....What kind of sand?Coarse?Fine? And one last thing, About waste on the bottom of the tank. Besides the vacuum, any other way to get rid of it?

Cheers,

One Fish to Rule Them All

I'd say get three or four. I only have two, and that's okay, too. But for your tank size, I think that much is okay. The more possible the better. They don't absolutely NEED sand, they just prefer it a lot more. You can use gravel, but make sure you get the fine, small kind. I have gravel in my tank, and hey, they can live with it. As for getting the poop away...unlike most catfishes, cories don't poop much. That's what's so good about them. They clean a lot more than they poop. I sometimes stir the top of the gravel very lightly with a chopstick and slowly lure the debris that floats up with the into the filter tube by swishing the chopstick in that direction. But that's just what I do. My tank is very small, so I can't find a vacumn that suits my tank size.

Hi Phantom Theif :)

Corys are great little fish that are perfect citizens in a community tank because they get along with everyone. They will do fine with your guppies and betta. :nod:

Here's a link to a site about catifsh. It shows all the corys.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/calli...ra/g_thumbs.htm

The C. aeneus or bronze cory is the most common one here and perhaps everywhere. I think you will be happy with whatever cory you can get, though.

They are bottom feeders who need a varied diet. They will eat whatever food reaches the bottom, but should have some spirulina disks or algae wafers and some live, frozen or freeze dried worms. These are good foods that will benefit your other fish, too.

Good luck and please let us know which ones you get. :)

Here are the answers to your questions :D

1. Are there any nice corys that will not outgrow this 10g tank?- I have two spotted, but I've also heard pandas are good

2. Are there any specific food needs? Im feeding my other fish on pellets that float but for my pleco, i crushed them so that some sink and some float so all could eat. -Try algae wafers and freeze dried bloodworms

3. Will they bother my betta?- No

4. Are there corys that swim on the bottom cos my betta and guppies wim on top so i wanna get fishes that swim down there.- Mine rarely leave the bottom

5. I live in malaysia. Do u think i can get them here?- Probably, If not your LFS could order them for you

6. Will there be temp probs?- If your water is 73- 79 degrees there shouldn't be

Thanks for the replies :D . Now im REALLY convinced to get one, but i gotta wait a while more. Why? Ask my dad. I'll keep you guys posted. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back