What Kind Of Catfish Is This?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lcj2010

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting. Iv been going to different boards trying to figure out what type of catfish i have. I have had it for 3 years and no one knows what it is. So any help would be mush appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 73
I'm no expert but I'm thinking some sort of bagrid.
have you tried planet catfish? http://www.planetcatfish.com/

Looks like Pseudopimelodus bufonius to me, not much else in that family has the distinctive striping.
What size is it? am sure you're aware of it's predatory nature - lovely fish, but needs to be kept with large tankmates.
HTH
Martin

Awesome, 3 years and now i know its a Giant Bumblebee Catfish thank u Fishaholic. And yes i learned fast about how evil it is, it has eaten everything that has entered that tank. Rope fish, african butterfly, needle fish, and a huge knife fish. Its alone in a 29 gallon tanks and it eats feeders 10 in one day.

Whilst I'm sure it's a Pseudopimelodus, any chance of some other pics? I know these can be aggressive, but I'm surprised it has been so aggressive.
I'm not sure if it's possible after three years, but can I suggest you try and wean it off live food onto shrimp/prawns/chunks of freshwater fish (trout etc) - it will take some time, but I think it will definitely be better for the fish's health in the long run. Plus there is also the chance you will introduce parasites/disease via the feeders, and from an ethical point of view, many will argue it is wrong to feed fish this way. In the UK, aquatic retailers can get in trouble with the law for knowingly selling fish that will be used as feeder fish, though not sure how this applies in the US.
Anyway, one last question - how often do you feed it? Any predator like this will feed on an irregular basis, so I'd suggest only feeding once or twice a week, and varying the diet as much as possible. You could try tying a prawn/shrimp to a piece of cotton and teasing the fish with it to get a reaction, though, as i said, after three years it's not going to be an easy transition.
Still, a lovely fish, wish i had the room for one.
Martin

Thanks for the help figuring out what kind of fish it was Martin. I feed it once or twice a week, i go off and on between feeders and brine shrimp/blood worms. i am waiting for the day i go downstairs and a human hand is sticking out of its mouth. Thank u for the feeding advice i do think it is safer to probably just feed him frozen foods. I am probably going to move him to a 10 or 20 gallon tank so i can use my 29 gallon for more fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back