What Is Your Favourite Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Reaction score
I'm new to the Gourami world. I have been keeping Bettas for over 12 years now. I have been really into NW cichlids for the past few years. But I got my first gourami a Opaline Gourami named icy-hot. They are so pretty and i love how they use their feelers. They have always intrigued me so I am excited to finally have one.

So what is your favourite gourami and why?

My favorite gourami is the moonlight. They are some of the most beautiful fish I've ever had, and I had a pair of females, that always swam together, and never got more than a few inches apart. Sadly, they died a few months ago. But I'm looking for some more now.

Two spring to mind. The first is the excellent Colisa fasciata, a hardy alternative to the utterly rubbish dwarf gourami Colisa lalia. For some reason Colisa fasciata was known as the "giant gourami" in the hobby for decades. It's not a giant at all, at about 10 cm in length. It's all the things Colisa lalia should be but isn't: robust, long-lived, disease-resistant. Colisa labiosus is very similar and an equally good fish.

The other is not really a gourami but a climbing perch, Ctenopoma acutirostre. Essentially an African angelfish, it's a laterally compressed fish that stays close to vegetation and feeds on insect larvae and tiny fish. Easy to maintain on frozen foods, completely peaceful to fish it can't swallow whole, and beautifully coloured. Lives a long time; mine were well over 12 years old when I gave them away. Great for the African community tank alongside Congo tetras, bichirs and the like.

Cheers, Neale

So what is your favourite gourami and why?

I have two favourites. The opaline and the honey.

The opaline because of their lovely electric blue colour.

The honey because they're cute and i love their personality

giant gouramis saw four in te london aquarum
amazingly large fish

if we are talking about fish possible to keep at home
honeys cool and small plus love the colour
im quite partial to dwarfs though love the patterns

I'm new to the Gourami scene as well, but I'd have to say that my favorite is the Pearl Gourami (Trichogaster leeri).

It's a pretty fish that has a pretty good personality, and it goes along great with the other fish in the community she is in.

nmonks i love that Ctenopoma acutirostre. Remmeber reading about them but never really looked into them.

Other than those ^^ my favorite would have to be kissing Gouramis. Love their look.

Ctenopoma acutirostre (spotted climbing perch), would also have to be my favourite! I currently have three and think they're just great fish.

The other two in my top three are honey and pearl gouramis. I've had both, and both are very lovely and peaceful.

Red fin giant gourami - better looking than regular giant gourami (in my opinion) but still has that personality and quirkiness.

osphronemus_laticlavius.jpg

Red fin giant gourami - better looking than regular giant gourami (in my opinion) but still has that personality and quirkiness.

osphronemus_laticlavius.jpg

he is gorgeous :wub:

i adore my honeys and my dwarves at the moment - just had first successful fry from my dwarves - i removed the nest to a net and male has made another nest and mated with the females again and now thats full of eggs Jeez i'm hoping they all do well

aaaa012-1.jpg

Giants need a 400 gallon tank.

400 gallon seems excessive, though bigger is better for these fish. The common consensus is they reach 20" maximum (smaller than regular giant gourami's) so I would say a 180 gallons minimum, with a 240 being preferable.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back