RockyRaccoon
New Member
- Joined
- May 10, 2009
- Messages
- 38
- Reaction score
- 0
- Points
- 0
the tank is a 20 gallon (30 inches long, 12 inches high, 12 inches wide)
heated to about 75-78
filtered well
weekly water changes
well planted, and plenty of hiding areas that are rarely used
water levels are all fine from what a guy at petsmart told me.
stocked with 5 black neons (2 died), 6 corys (one looks sick, the rest look fine), and 4 pristellas (2 died).
I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong... but this is very frustrating. Ive been getting very interested in fish but it would be more enjoyable if my fish were happy and thriving.
The corys appear fine and active with the exception of one that has turned pale
The black neons look stressed nearly all day. They don't shoal at the top of the tank like theyre known to do (from what I've read). They are often in a group of three roaming the bottom of the tank with the others scattered singly. They're color is often pale and not healthy-looking. The fish act much less stressed at night when the light is off. In fact, I think they seem pretty healthy at night.
The pristellas also roam the bottom of the tank a lot of the time. They do school though with the exception of one that occasionally seems more timid. Despite the fact that they seem fine for the most part, two have died on me. These tetras too seem much more comfortable at night.
Could my light be too bright? Could loud noises stress them? I sometimes play loud music in the room. Could it be my interaction? I often look at the tank for periods of fifteen minutes or so. I'm starting to get discouraged after investing so much time and money into failed attempts.
heated to about 75-78
filtered well
weekly water changes
well planted, and plenty of hiding areas that are rarely used
water levels are all fine from what a guy at petsmart told me.
stocked with 5 black neons (2 died), 6 corys (one looks sick, the rest look fine), and 4 pristellas (2 died).
I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong... but this is very frustrating. Ive been getting very interested in fish but it would be more enjoyable if my fish were happy and thriving.
The corys appear fine and active with the exception of one that has turned pale
The black neons look stressed nearly all day. They don't shoal at the top of the tank like theyre known to do (from what I've read). They are often in a group of three roaming the bottom of the tank with the others scattered singly. They're color is often pale and not healthy-looking. The fish act much less stressed at night when the light is off. In fact, I think they seem pretty healthy at night.
The pristellas also roam the bottom of the tank a lot of the time. They do school though with the exception of one that occasionally seems more timid. Despite the fact that they seem fine for the most part, two have died on me. These tetras too seem much more comfortable at night.
Could my light be too bright? Could loud noises stress them? I sometimes play loud music in the room. Could it be my interaction? I often look at the tank for periods of fifteen minutes or so. I'm starting to get discouraged after investing so much time and money into failed attempts.







