What is VOIP and how do you use it?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my internet company said I could make phone calls over the internet using VOIP. However, they have not told me how to set it up or use it.

Does anyone know what it is and how I set it up and use it?

I'm doing this because I don't have a telephone and the virus outbreak is starting to stress me. If I get sick I will need to be able to call for help and currently can't.

VOIP stands for "Voice Over Internet Protocol" which is basically just voice communications over the internet.
You just need to install an application that supports it onto a device (computer or phone) that is connected to the internet.
Some examples are Teamspeak or Discord, etc. They work by being able to talk to each other. If two people have the application, they can talk to each other.

You may also use some VOIP applications to call normal phone numbers.
Examples of this are Skype or Google hangouts (Accessible from your google account if you have one).
Both the above examples allow you to talk to others who have those applications, and also allow you to dial a regular phone number and speak to them and all you need is an internet connection.

You are required to have an account, and at least in Skype's case, you have to pay a fee for the phone call. (x amount per minute if I recall)

Pretty much what he said, my Grandma just got this installed.

I use VOIP via a device called MagicJack. It costs approximately $36 per year. The magic jack device is connected to my main cordless phone base unit and also connected to the internet via an ethernet cable to my router which is connected to my modem. I now can use my 5 cordless phones throughout the house . If you move, you can take the magic jack with you and have service at your new location. i can also now make phone calls over wifi using my smart phone via the magic jack app for no extra charge. If someone calls my house phone when I am away from home but have access to wifi, I can take the call on my smartphone via wifi (voip). I believe it would work in Australia too.

I also have a pay as you go smart phone service for my smartphone that I rarely use but have it if necessary. I have used about $20 in about 2 years mostly for data/internet access on my smart phone when not near wifi. The company I signed on with allows adding funds to your account and for calls, you only pay 2 cents per minute of phone use and it does not expire. The company I use is Tello which uses the Sprint network. I don't know if a similar service is available in Australia.

If you have an old cell phone without service, you can still charge it and call 911 here in the states.

VOIP stands for "Voice Over Internet Protocol" which is basically just voice communications over the internet.
You just need to install an application that supports it onto a device (computer or phone) that is connected to the internet.
Some examples are Teamspeak or Discord, etc. They work by being able to talk to each other. If two people have the application, they can talk to each other.

You may also use some VOIP applications to call normal phone numbers.
Examples of this are Skype or Google hangouts (Accessible from your google account if you have one).
Both the above examples allow you to talk to others who have those applications, and also allow you to dial a regular phone number and speak to them and all you need is an internet connection.

You are required to have an account, and at least in Skype's case, you have to pay a fee for the phone call. (x amount per minute if I recall)
I think discord is better.

I used to use Skype a lot. Kinda fun talking to people around the world.

I can shed some light on this VOIP topic. VOIP stands for Voice Over Internet Protocol. It's essentially a way to make phone calls over the Internet instead of using traditional phone lines or cellular networks. You need a decent internet connection, but once you have that, you can make calls from any device that can connect to the web, like a computer, tablet, or even your phone with the right app. It's super handy, especially for small businesses or if you're working remotely. I've been using MightyCall's VOIP service and it's been a real game-changer for me. You can have multiple numbers, route calls, set business hours, and a whole bunch more. You might want to check it out there. VOIP is an excellent modern solution to communication needs!

Last edited:
I have just using a voip, I am not gonna suggest you, because I don't really like the price right now
so really wanna see your answers
This thread is from 3 years ago 🥸

Here in the US I pay $45 a year for magic jack. You plug your regular phone into the device and connect to your wifi. Calls in the US and Puerto Rico and canada are free. Calls to other countries cost pennies. I have a base phone hooked to 5 other phones all over the house. You can also make calls on their free app.

I have just using a voip, I am not gonna suggest you, because I don't really like the price right now
so really wanna see your answers
I don't understand this comment about price. If you have internet access you have voip for 'free' you just need the software. There are 'free' tools that will allow it to make a general call (google voice is one example - though I'm not sure if it still free). Skype is voip it just doesn't allow general phone calls since it doesn't tie into the phone exchange (or at least it used to not do so).

In the UK there are currently two landline systems (well three if you count Virgin which uses fibre). All other landline providers use BT lines.
The original lines are copper; phones use them and broadband used copper until BT installed fibre almost everywhere. The copper system is getting old and BT does not want to maintain both the ancient copper and the newer fibre cables. So they are making everyone use fibre only, and voip, region by region.

Though they still haven't explained how people will phone for help during a power outage if they don't have mobile phones, or live in a mobile black spot; this happened in the aftermath of Storm Arwen a couple of years ago leaving some communities completely cut off for days

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back