What is this growth!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Caden Fisher

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi. So, tonight as I was looking at this 29 gallon tank, I noticed this large growth on this angelfish. Iā€™m quite concerned about it. is it dangerous? Nothing? Pls respond if youā€™ve seen this before or know what it it. its on her underside. Itā€™s around pencil thick. Pls help
B60A65E8-F48D-408D-BE24-F729CB8AF9B9.jpeg
E7229292-7440-4125-8453-43F9A8393827.jpeg

Hello!

Couple of questions:

1. What are your current water parameters?
2. What are the tank mates of this fish?

From the pictures you've presented, it looks like a female angelfish's ovipositor tube which would be visible during breeding. While you might expect there to be a male available, I once had two female angelfish continue to lay eggs together every two weeks apart....

Hello!

Couple of questions:

1. What are your current water parameters?
2. What are the tank mates of this fish?

From the pictures you've presented, it looks like a female angelfish's ovipositor tube which would be visible during breeding. While you might expect there to be a male available, I once had two female angelfish continue to lay eggs together every two weeks apart....
I donā€™t know the water parameters, but I think itā€™s at 80ā€™F. its been about 3 weeks since the last water change but there arenā€˜t many other fish in the tank. There is only a LF bristlenose and a red tailed shark. No other angels. Iā€™ve had this one for about 8 months. There was another angel in there but we had an ich outbreak about 3 months ago due to new fish and It died :( I havenā€™t changed anything in the tank for months. Thanks for the help.

It's a bit hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the angelfish has pushed part of its intestine out of its butt. It might also be the ovipositor (egg laying tube), but need better pictures to be certain.

Nothing to worry about if it's the ovipositor.

If it is the intestine, sometimes it goes back in by itself, other times it doesn't. Feeding the fish some live brineshrimp or daphnia, or some frozen food for a few days will sometimes help.

I donā€™t know the water parameters, but I think itā€™s at 80ā€™F. its been about 3 weeks since the last water change but there arenā€˜t many other fish in the tank. There is only a LF bristlenose and a red tailed shark. No other angels. Iā€™ve had this one for about 8 months. There was another angel in there but we had an ich outbreak about 3 months ago due to new fish and It died :( I havenā€™t changed anything in the tank for months. Thanks for the help.
Basic info for the immediate future and beyond...
You need to get a freshwater test kit. API do a good one that measures what you NEED to know.

This is not a cheap item, but will probably save you much in the future.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It's a bit hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the angelfish has pushed part of its intestine out of its butt. It might also be the ovipositor (egg laying tube), but need better pictures to be certain.

Nothing to worry about if it's the ovipositor.

If it is the intestine, sometimes it goes back in by itself, other times it doesn't. Feeding the fish some live brineshrimp or daphnia, or some frozen food for a few days will sometimes help.
Basic info for the immediate future and beyond...
You need to get a freshwater test kit. API do a good one that measures what you NEED to know.

This is not a cheap item, but will probably save you much in the future.
Thank you for the help. I think itā€™s the ovipositor. Itā€™s mostly back inside now. I will get a test kit next time Iā€™m at my LFS.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Prolapse intestines (where they stick out the fish's butt) have nothing to do with water quality. It is occurring more commonly due to inbreeding and poor diet. Frozen and live foods help reduce this happening but poor quality fish coming from Asia are the main cause.

Prolapse intestines (where they stick out the fish's butt) have nothing to do with water quality. It is occurring more commonly due to inbreeding and poor diet. Frozen and live foods help reduce this happening but poor quality fish coming from Asia are the main cause.
Ok, Thanks. This angel was local bred though. Iā€™m going to get some frozen food next time Iā€™m at my LFS.

Locally bred fish doesn't mean much. If the breeder bought a group of angelfish from the same tank at the same time, they are probably all related. Unfortunately, it's hard to get unrelated fish when most of the fish come from the same suppliers in Asia.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back