What Is The Name Of This Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Zacclark95

Reaction score
Hi guys i am new to the fish keeping world.. i purchased a couple of these fish at my local garden and leisure centre but nobody there had any idea what they were called! stupidly i got them anyway because i liked the look of them. Now im trying to find out what they are called so i can find out some info on them
smile.png
so any help would be much appreciated!

IMG_03541_zps6487708c.jpg

The colors are kind of faded. The configuration looks like some sort of barb. Similar to a cherry barb but the fish in your picture lacks the lateral line marking. You can see the similarities to the fish below which is a rainbow barb. I'm not saying that's the exact species but just point out the similarities between your fish and this barb. 
BARB_RAINBOW_DACE_REGULAR.jpg

definitely some sort of barb not sure as to which one though :) it should be pretty peaceful but looks like it could need a fair bit of swimming space :)

I've taken a couple of closer pictures don't know if it will help but i appreciate your input guys! :)

IMG_03691_zpsca6f314f.jpg
IMG_03611_zpsdff8e5d5.jpg

i have found a fish called a red shiner that looks very similar but my fish dont have the red fins.. well they are slightly red tainted but you cant see that in the pictures. have i found the right name for it? lol

This is the image for it on google

Notropis_lutrensis_02_zps436ae54b.jpg

Looks like Cyprinella Lutrensis(Red Shiner, Rainbow Barb, Rainbow Shiner, Rainbow Dace) to me too :)

Fin color (and other color) will come in once the fish is less stressed and has been in the tank for a while.

i finally found someone at the store who knew what they were talking about and they said that they are rainbow dace :) thank you all for your help!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back