What is the meanest fish you've owned?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

actually its Jambo, big bully he is, buddie and friends are now waiting to go to new homes.
he was fine with them then suddely for no apparent reason decided that he didnt want to share tank space anymore (( full moon that day i think!!))

but hes still the most beautiful fish in the world :)

Looking back over this thread, it's been resurrected a lot of times over the years, lol.

My meanest fish is my blue panchax. I have two pearl danios that he simply hates - chases them mercilessly some days. Leaves everything else in the tank alone, including smaller pearl danios (which he swims alongside regularly). My peacock goby will bite my fingers if I put them in the quarantine tank where he is, but I've only had him a few days so we'll see just how bad he really is.

I also have an angelfish that feels I'm only allowed to have two otos at a time. I had two, added four, and he went and ate two of the newcommers the first day, and the two originals a few days later, and has since ignored the other two out of the new batch.

Without a doubt it's my black rhom. (S. rhombeus)

They kill anyhting and everything on site.

Here's a couple of things that Wayne Mah, who's studied them for 20 years says about them, including putting buti's and red devils in together with them... (I've had butti's and red devils and they don't even come close to a rhombeus in aggression.

I have tried putting much smaller black piranhas into tanks with very large red piranhas. For example, a three inch black piranha mixed in with several 9 inch fully grown red piranhas. The result is inevitably the black piranha will systematically attack the much larger red piranhas until such time, the black piranha either becomes the only fish in the tank or it dies from its injuries in battle.

When it comes to the black piranhas most infamous qualities like unbelievable aggression towards all other fishes, remarkable strength and power and unyielding desire to eliminate all and every possible co-habitant it may come across, including larger foes than itself, there still remains to this day one outstanding issue that is unanswered and is an ongoing debate among those interested in piranhas.

I point specifically to the black piranha's inherent predisposition against co- habitation with any other fishes. From the day it is born to the day it dies, it neither accepts nor tolerates any other living organism in its tank

As a result I have for the past couple of years experimented with introducing a variety of very large aggressive South American fish into very large tanks with a single black piranha. I want to find out if these other fishes like a 15 inch red devil or a pair of 12 inch jack dempsey or even a 13 inch buttercoferi can present some form of defense that will allow it to survive in the tank with the black piranha. So far none has survive though each one had presented different methods of defence and attacking responses but in the end, the black piranha always ended victorious.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/articles/bpiranha.shtml

my big Piranha was the meanest by far, wiped out my guppy,s and neons in less than an hour. :hyper:

Just joking, i think it must be some tiger bards i had awhile ago

I had a red bellied piranha, meanest fish I have ever laid my eyes on - bit the end of my mom's finger off.

my african cichlids so far. Pundamilia nyererei and cynotilapia afra cobue (just wait until I add my pseudotropheus crabro aka bumble bee)... they have territorial disputes and "ruler of the roost" disputes all the time. Maybe that's why my yellow labs never came out??? :lol:

meanest fish - a chinese ( golden) algae eater bought in our ignorance when we started fishkeeping years ago- it was fine till it grew big & then terrorized everything else in the tank 24 hrs a day esp our poor peppered corys. had to be rehomed & catching the b***r was extremely hard.

we also had a teeny green baby tiger barb ( about 6mm big) a couple of years ago who was one right holy terror he used to chase the much bigger ( 2 & a half inches) other barbs around so much that they all took to hiding in the undergrowth all day until moonlight time when you'd see them venture out briefly. finally one big barb took on the mean green in a fight and won cos mean green settled right down & we started seeing the other 6 barbs out again.

definately some kenyi i was given.every morning i would wake up with parts of a platy or molly floating in my tank.needless to say i gave them back very quickly.

I have to say that my Zebra danios are the worst I have ever owned...they were constantly harrising my other fish and would not let up. They ended up back in the LPS pretty quick.

Also my blue rams are a pain....I cant figure them out...when the tank light is on they chase each other but when it is off they cuddle up to each other! :rolleyes:

Strange or crazy...I cant decide which!

Definitely my Siamese upside-downcatfish. It bit the tail clean off my tiger barb. (and brought a disease into the tank killing all the rest ((well except two, and as a matter of fact they're thriving with their new tankmates))

pseudotropheus crabbro

i took him back after killing 2 of my fish, i went in the a week later and he nearly wiped out the whole tank at the fish shop :crazy:

I used to have a pair of particularly pugilistic convicts (who rapidly multiplied into a horde of convicts) that I bought from a local hobbyist with a warning that their parents were the meanest convicts he has ever seen. This couple hated everything: tank decor, other fish, and me (they'd sometimes attack my hands even outside breeding time). They'd also bicker with each other quite a lot if they were the only fish in the tank, and most of the time they were, because they didn't let anyone else live in the tank very long. But they were kind of charming despite all this. Unfortunately I couldn't deal with the ever growing army of baby convicts so I eventually gave all of them away.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back