What Is Squared Off?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ok.... it's been 6 weeks tonight since momma had her first batch... I'm wondering if i should get a male molly and put him and her in the larger tank to let him impregnate her. But i was sorta thinking about mixing colors... any suggestions on what colors to mix with a black molly?

Linda, I don't have any experience with mollies, but my orange mama and calico papa seem to be producing tuxedo-looking fry once they get their colours.
Mama had her 4th batch on 26th. Have seen 6 so far which probably means there are twice as many hiding in the plants. The eldest fry (which is definitely male as I've now seen his tackle! lol) joined in the post-natal feast the day they were born but think he seems more tolerant of them now.
Gem, your platy female could still produce a few more batches of fry without the male so keep an eye on her.

Linda, you say her scales are sticking out is that right?
Have you got a pic as it's starting to sound like dropsy

no her scales have settled back to their normal looking ways... and it was only around her belly that was doing it... but i don't think that she is pregnate. So i put them both back in my 30 gal tank and left the fry in their 10 gal. I plan on getting some more females and a couple of males... does anyone have any suggestions on what colors to get to produce some extra cool looking babies?

Babies r fine, sunset platy is getting colours now and defo no Mickey Mouse pattern on it so its from sunny and flash, it's in a little breeder tank with gravels and baby ornaments moved off luqifry onto flakes now, doing well I can't wait to gender determine :) read on the other post ure platy had her babies again :-D ! X

Borngemini said:
Babies r fine, sunset platy is getting colours now and defo no Mickey Mouse pattern on it so its from sunny and flash, it's in a little breeder tank with gravels and baby ornaments moved off luqifry onto flakes now, doing well I can't wait to gender determine
yay.gif
) read on the other post ure platy had her babies again :-D ! X
Yes she did - can't seem to stop her. Even dropping the temperature didn't seem to slow things down much as she still looked like a house-side but seemed reluctant to have them at the lower temperature.
My platy fry start to get their colours at 2-3 weeks so I would think your little fry would probably be able to hold its own in the main tank. May get chased a bit to start with but it will be able to shift out the way quickly enough.
I thought that having 2 different looking parents might produce different fry each time but they all seem to be heading towards looking like tuxedo platies. 
I have only just been able to identify the gender of the oldest fry at 16 weeks - definitely male (!) altho looked female for a good 3 months!

So i went out and got some more mollies... 3 Solid Golds... Sorta thinking Gold sunsets, and then a silver lyretail. One of the Gold is Male but doesn't seem interested in Mating. I dunno if it's his age cause they look young still or if it is just that he is in a new tank. Time will tell... I'm going out of town for the day tomorrow and i've got my fry to eating twice a day now. I got some jumbo freeze dried shrimp and cut it into smaller pieces and watched the mollies go to town on it. Even the fry tried to get in on the action!! It was so cute watching everyone work together to eat on a piece of shrimp the way they did. I name the male fish Prince Charming and my silver Snow White, then with Momma and Spot all are named except for two female Golds! I'll try to post some pics of everyone soon. I'm not sure if my new females are pregnant or not either. Time will tell and I have a male now.
067d695a-1223189.jpg

Prince Charming
6d2654d4-1223188.jpg

One of the Gold females and Snow White and Momma
12d80ed5-1223187.jpg

Spot, the larger fry is Momma's and the small one is Spot's 

That's a great shot of the 3 different ones together Linda! Let us know what colour off-spring they produce as I'm sure they will. He's maybe just acclimatising.

I hope that is what he is doing... I will totally post pics of any fry offspring. Thanks btw... i love that shot of the 3 as well! Also!!! I'm so excited. My bf is the best!!! He is having 3 Gold Dojo's shipped to my house!!! CAN'T WAIT!!

i think i'm addicted to cute little molly fry. i want another molly to drop fry just so i can watch them swim around with their fellow fry. They are just to cute, but none right now. I think one of my Golds is preggers. She is a bit bigger than the other Gold female and not sure if i'm imagining it or if she has "eye spots" in her belly. 

You'll be overrun with fry if you have any more! Have you loads of room for more tanks or will you be letting them go when they are old enough?
I'm getting excired now as my 30L seems to be nearing the end of its fishless cycle. Still need to check the tests for a few more days but nitrItes were down to 0 yesterday - just got to get it to 0 within 12 hours of dosing with ammonia then I'm on the home stretch!
Looking at getting a betta for that tank.

daizeUK said:
I have a male and female platy who both present to each other, he is trying to establish dominance and has all the other females under control except this one won't back down!  They dance with each other, fins displayed and arched away from each other and occasionally one or the other will nip as if to show who's boss.  She's already pregnant so he's not interested in mating with her.

Uhhmmm... this morning my dominant pregnant female appears to have decided she's male.  She's developed a gonopodium overnight.  And she still looks pregnant. 
sad2.gif

blink.png

alien.gif

daizeUK said:
I have a male and female platy who both present to each other, he is trying to establish dominance and has all the other females under control except this one won't back down!  They dance with each other, fins displayed and arched away from each other and occasionally one or the other will nip as if to show who's boss.  She's already pregnant so he's not interested in mating with her.

Uhhmmm... this morning my dominant pregnant female appears to have decided she's male.  She's developed a gonopodium overnight.  And she still looks pregnant. 
sad2.gif

blink.png

alien.gif
How old is it? The one I mentioned previously is 16 weeks now and is definitiely a male - eventually seen a well-developed gonopodium! Has a fat belly too but I reckon he's just greedy! lol

I honestly have no idea, I got the fish nearly three weeks ago and they are about 2cm long (not including the tail), quite young but I thought they were well grown past changing gender.

Here's the fish, she has been flicking her gonopodium forward like a male today so I am fairly certain she must be male.  She definitely had triangular finnage until a couple of days ago but I guess it has been gradually elongating and has finally separated today.  I thought that round belly was pregnancy but maybe not... I'm just confused now!

AnnieMale_zps9c332b08.jpg

Yes I would say "she" definitely seems to be male! Love the mickey mouse platies! My fry seems to be completely unlike either of the parents, but all similar to each other, even from different broods.

Most reactions

Back