April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I am looking at some 4 and 6 foot tanks used, online. Some set ups seem reasonable, until I look at prices elsewhere that are cheaper. What are used tanks going for in your areas?

I am picking up 2 full set ups of 55 gallon tanks (I only need a stand for 1). I am paying $150 for the pair. Which seems reasonable. Then I see for a tank and stand only, a 125 gallon going for $400. Which for a 20year old tank, and a handmade stand doesn't seem super reasonable.

secondhand anything should go for about half the price of a new item.
with aquariums there might be scratches on the glass, the silicon could be old and dry, there might be fish TB in the tank.

if the stands are chip board/ particle board, it might be stuffed from water damage causing the wood to swell up.

I think you should be aiming to pay 25% of the value of the new glass. Remember that large tanks can be very expensive to build especially if they are made out of 12mm glass.

secondhand anything should go for about half the price of a new item.
with aquariums there might be scratches on the glass, the silicon could be old and dry, there might be fish TB in the tank.

if the stands are chip board/ particle board, it might be stuffed from water damage causing the wood to swell up.
Right now, new 6 foot tanks are going for around $1000 for tank and stand without equipment.

I am picking up 2 full set ups of 55 gallon tanks (I only need a stand for 1). I am paying $150 for the pair. Which seems reasonable. Then I see for a tank and stand only, a 125 gallon going for $400. Which for a 20year old tank, and a handmade stand doesn't seem super reasonable.
i have two 40 gallon tanks from Petco at $40. They & other big box stores often sell them at 50% off. I ordered a 125 from the local fish store for $500. It’s on back order due to a glass shortage. We are heavily reinforcing a sturdy 6 ft long antique dining room table for the stand. LFS will deliver & set it on stand for $75. Tank weighs 300 pounds.

i have two 40 gallon tanks from Petco at $40. They & other big box stores often sell them at 50% off. I ordered a 125 from the local fish store for $500. It’s on back order due to a glass shortage. We are heavily reinforcing a sturdy 6 ft long antique dining room table for the stand. LFS will deliver & set it on stand for $75. Tank weighs 300 pounds.
Wow! My petco does the $1 per gallon for up to 29 gallons, and occasionally half off 40, 55, 75 gallon tanks.

Their prices fluctuate. Pays to be patient. Don’t think Petco goes >75 G. Petmart had 125’s on a stand once at a good price, but none available, same as the two local small fish shops. And Petsmart will not deliver tanks except for online purchases. Not sure of cost, if any, but it’s dropped off on a pallet in front of your place. I‘ve heard of people paying up to $250 to get a moving crew to take it inside. Weighs 300 pds.

i bought a used 90 G with a 20 G sump, a canopy cabinet, 20 fish, LED & fluorescent lights, etc. Great value at $500, but PITA to transport & get into house & up on the base. We had a 4x8 trailer that hitches up to our small car. Had to hire a college student to help set things up, big strong soccer player.

Vowed to never buy a used big tank again. Worth the $500 to get a 125 from the local shop & pay them $75 to deliver & setup.

These were deliver to me today. Will be leak tested tonight.

Attachments

• 20211226_114702.jpg
    20211226_114702.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 44
keep us posted! I‘ve purchased 3 used tanks from Craigslist , 10 G. 30 G & the 90 G with 20 fish & all that equipment. No problems.
I have been given or purchased almost all of my tanks used. A lot of them from a retired angel fish breeder. One 29 gallon and a couple of 10 gallons were bought new.

It depends who is selling it.
A hobbiest will know how much was invested in it and want to get as much as possible in return (probably to buy a bigger tank!)
The ex/ widow/ widower will be glad to be rid of it - and it will be sold for a song within hours.

I just purchased a used $40 10 gallon tank that came with filter, 2 brand new unused heater, one used heater, salt, decorations, glass cleaners, 2 1/2 boxes of filter pads, substrate, gravel vac, and a couple other things. That’s a steal imo. I got my used 30 gallon for around that same price and it came with fake plants, gravel, heater, and filter.

Most reactions

Back