what is needed for bettas?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nirvanarama

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
im getting a 5 gallon tank/bowl soon and was wondering wether 2 gte a betta for it. what would i need to keep it happy? do they have special diets and need different de-cholrinators?

all help appreciated :D

well you cant get two bettas for a tank. You can divide it. But I dont think you can divide a bowl. Bettas need the same thing as regular fish. Just its own kind of food.

i think that "2" actually means "to", so he doesnt want to keep two bettas, he wants "to" get a betta. i think...

hahaha SMS talk.

my 5 gallon just cycled today! w0000t! i'll be keeping a betta. i have a filter and a heater. as well as betta food, decholred water, a thermometer, 4 big live plants, and some blue substrate. as well as a hood with a flourescent bulb for my plants.

yea its a lot but i decided its better to spend a littel extra and have happy fish something so nice in my room. it is also very calming.

tetras_rock said:
im getting a 5 gallon tank/bowl soon and was wondering wether 2 gte a betta for it. what would i need to keep it happy? do they have special diets and need different de-cholrinators?

all help appreciated :D
A 5 gallon tank makes an excellent betta home. I prefer to keep bettas in small tanks with filters as opposed to bowls. If possible, get a little 25W heater to keep his water warm and stable, they get lethargic if the water is too cool. They appreciate live plants, they like to rest on them and swim around them. If you have a light in your hood you could grow the common low light plants like anubias and java fern. Otherwise get silk plants, not plastic ones, to prevent damage to the long fins. Make sure any ornaments you put in the tank are not sharp for the same reason. Regarding diet, most bettas will accept Hikari betta bio-gold as a staple diet. They also love thawed frozen bloodworms. Most will not take flake. The same dechlorinator will work fine, but you may want to get one of the ones that is dosed in drops instead of capfuls since the tank is so small, to reduce waste of the dechlor.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back