What is curbing my guppy population growth?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Back then, my guppies used to have batches of around 10. Now i only see batches of 2 - 3 guppies… is it because i introduced new species of fish?

There could be so many reasons to it. But yes, new species can withhold a female guppy to not deliver her fry (or all her fry). But that depends on the kind of fish the others are. And I don't mean their species but their behavior.

Sure, the new fish species may be eating the babies which some people introduce for the helpful purpose of population control. Do you have bushy/floating plant areas for fry to hide?

10 is a tiny batch. But you don't give enough info for a real comment.

Sure, the new fish species may be eating the babies which some people introduce for the helpful purpose of population control. Do you have bushy/floating plant areas for fry to hide?
yes, i have tons of water lettuce, giant vals, lots of green algae, lots of christmas moss, and tons of cover for the babies to hide in.
the swordtails seem to explode in population however...
10 is a tiny batch. But you don't give enough info for a real comment.
what other parameters should i list?
water parameters and such have not changed since the beginning.
plants have grown a lot more lush since then.
I have added Pearl Gouramis and Harlequin Rasboras
thank you :)

Swordtails eat guppies, as do pearl gouramis. I find if I keep two livebearers together, they may not eat their own fry, but they pick off the fry from the other species.

Swordtails eat guppies, as do pearl gouramis. I find if I keep two livebearers together, they may not eat their own fry, but they pick off the fry from the other species.
that makes sense. I will be starting an exension tank to grow out guppies, so that they can survive better

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back