What is best solution for Algae?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Galaxy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have had a 180 litre tank for nearly three months which has fully cycled. I now have 10 mollies which are all doing well.Over the last month or so a scum has started to form on the glass on the inside of the tank which I assume is algae. It is not bad but I suppose it will get worse in time. Is there a fish I could get to solve this problem. I have heard that some fish (Plecos) eat algae but I was worried that they get too big for my tank?

Any suggestions people?

If you think a plec would get too big for you you could always get soem otocinclus.

personally i found that by limiting the amount of time i had the light on worked. i had pretty bad algae on my plants and everywhere. i had the light on for 12 hours a day so i cut it down so it was only on between like 6 - 10 then 4-10 and now 2-10 and NO ALGAE!

If you want to go down the chemical route then
eSHA protolon-707 is the best on the market

A bristlenose is an ancistrus plec. My best solution for algae is to stop wat is causing it rather than buying a fish. I know tat good tanks run on a system and that's great but sorting out the lighting/waste will be enough to sort the algae out without resorting to fish.

I suppose I think this because I see so many people who have bought a fish just for the purpose of eating algae and then don't like it/it's not what they thought/etc.

I bought a couple of catfish to keep the algae under control and I love 'em!
They are such fun to watch hoovering along the glass - "stick-on" fish!
If they grow too big I'll just get a bigger tank! :blink:

yeah, catfish will help, also limit the amount of light your tank gets if it is becoming a problem. Also you could get in there and scrape your tank glass off yourself. It should settle down eventually unless your tank is in direct sunlight.

:rolleyes:

Get a catfish if you really like them, not because they eat algae. They will eat algae for sure, but they produce equal amount of poo!!!

If your main goal is to reduce algae, I suggest to reduce the time when the light is on as many have suggested here already...

Less lighting and a good algae brush. Nothing can beat that, although I have a redtailed black shark who loves to eat all the brown algae that grows in my planted tank. I still have to go over his work, but most of it is cleaned up, even the stuff on the ornaments that's hard for me to get.

I wouldn't suggest them as algae cleaners though. They can be too aggressive to other fish and probably go after your fish.

Where we are, I can barely have my lights on for 5hrs a day and still get a ton of algae and the tank isn't even in direct light! I ended up getting some snails - ivory mystery snails that don't breed like crazy. They're a fun addition to the tank and do a great job on the algae. The only bad thing is that it means I can't get any loaches b/c they'll eat my snails. If I didn't have the snails, I'd get some otocinclus cats b/c I think they're really cute!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back