What Interesting Things Do You Feed Your Fish?

big mick

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I was just looking in the fridge and wondered what things people feed their fish?.....I give mine cucumber once in a while, prawns once a week (along with a variety of fish foods and pellets) but will they eat apple? pear?.....I didnt want to start experimenting but I know they like couguette etc but just wondered?

Courgette (zuchinni) is far more nutritious than cucumber.
You might also like to try lightly boiled (and cooled) brussels sprouts, apple, banana and grapes.
Make sure that they're well washed of course.

Will most flake based fish like Bettas, Platys, guppies etc like these types of fruit and veg?

Do you chop them up into small pieces or just chuck them in whole?

Have just been feeding my fish with flake with occasional dried bloodworm.

Umm, flakes, pellets, frozen, but they like peas, sweetcorn, cucumber, prawns (not much though)... They didn't go much on grapes and lettuce though.

I use flaked, pellets, Tetra Fresh Delica brine shrimps and for my Malawis I also give a frozen Malawi Mix which they love. All my fish get cucumber once a week.

Would my cichlids like prawns? Do you put them in raw or cooked? Whole or chopped up? Sorry to ask, but I wouldnt want to put a whole cooked prawn in and kill them all.

Julia

I feed both cories and livebearers TetraDelica bloddworms, brine shrimps and daphnia for live food.

For veggies I usually feed the livebearers boiled peas or boiled sprouts, sometimes boiled spinach or chard, sometimes banana, apple or pear. I deshell the peas and mash them a bit, the sprouts and spinach/chard I chop very finely. The banana, apple or pear I scrape off a thin sliver with a knife and then chop/crush that. Actually, I only tried pear for the first time yesterday, but it was a success. Peas are the absolute favourites though; it's the only one, apart from pear, they've taken to straightaway; the other things I've had to try at least twice.

The cories tend to ignore any fruit or veg.

Cucumber, apple, banana, pineapple, prawn, tuna, lean minced beef, carrot, lettuce are the main ones other than the conventional.

With the exception of fatty meats like minced beef which you need to be very careful with, or high salt foods, just chuck whatever you like in- if they don't like it they won't eat it. Try and think about what might fall into the water in their natural habitat.

when my m8 slept over my house we were eating cheese sandwhiches and he put a little piece of cheese in my tank and they seemed to like it.
was this a bad thing to feed my fish or is it ok?
nothing is wrong with them.

Id never thought of Banana......I used to feed my terrapin banana.

I might try them on some apple and pear tonight.....2 of my angels will need cheering up coz in about 2 mins im going to pull their firtst spawn out the tank and raise them in a seperate one so they might not be a bit huffed at me staeling their 'first born'.

My bettas get normal Pro's Choice Betta Pellets, and HBH Betta Bites, and grubworm pellets. But they also like:

- peas
- bits of uncooked lean ham/bacon
- dog pellets (don't ask...)
- and mosquito larvae. Mmm...

I bought a bag of the fancy lettuce. It has romaine, dandelion, and some other red leaves in it. I enjoy it in my salad. I fed some of the leaves to my fish, and they devoured it. The silver dollars, loachs rtbs, and the tetras all ate it. I was surprised at fast it went.

I feed my tiger barbs carrots every once in a while. Need to chop it up into very small peaces though.

I caught a couple ants yesterday

and feed them to my red eyed tetras.

Most reactions

Back