What In The World Should I Do With This Piece Of Wood?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TomShootsPhoto

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello everyone, 

my tank has been up and running for about a year and a half, and I've had this wood (see the big brown piece on the right) in there ever since.

FUpl1Dp.jpg

However, it's just... It doesn't work with the design. How do you think I should position it? I want a nice and simple aquascape, but the wood kind of ruins it :(

I was wondering what I should do with it. I dont want to take it out, that piece costed me £100, (150 us bucks), so it was way too  expensive to just throw away... 

Any tips? 

Thank you for your help! :)

150 dollars for a piece of wood?

whenever i see people buying wood or large rocks at a fish store i literally smack my forehead with the palm of my hand, why pay money for things you can find outside for free?

back on topic....

i would put it in the center of the tank and at the back, pretty much against the glass

Sorry, but here in Sweden I cant find wood that looks this good and is aquariumsafe... :( have you seen the trees here? 

tumblr_m8g7mxSQOV1ravhaxo1_500.png

Yeah, no wood that fits. 

Anyhow, that is a great tip. I will try that. Do you mean like a centerpiece, and build around it? 
Brilliant. Thanks! :)

If anyone has any more tips, I would be more than happy to hear them! :)

I would attach more plants such as java fern, Anubis and moss to give it more effect as part of a planted tank. At the moment it does just look like a lump of wood.. An expensive lump ;-)

Squid

I mean no piece of wood that isn't a thick stick. I don't want to have a straight *** stick in my tank. 

Squid said:
I would attach more plants such as java fern, Anubis and moss to give it more effect as part of a planted tank. At the moment it does just look like a lump of wood.. An expensive lump ;-)

Squid

Thanks, would you suggest that I leave it where it is or move it?

Personally I think it looks quite good where it is.  I find that if I stick things dead centre it draws the eye in towards the centre when there is so much more happening in the aquarium.  Equally though unless you try it you will not know how it looks, as sometimes a centre piece can also look stunning as Mikey1 recommends.

I agree with Squid, as it will look totally different covered in live plants.

Another thought, have you considered standing it up on end to cover the equipment on the right?  Not sure what it would look like, just a thought worth trying maybe?  You could have the heavy part at the back off the tank with the "finer" branches leaning on the front of the tank, or vice versa i.e. it does not have to be directly upright.

Move it around a bit and post some pics, you could even then use the poll to help you with your decision ;)

Thanks for the tips!

Here it is as a centerpiece;

DvqfBwT.jpg

I would probably have to replant, if I'm going to have it this way... Turning it is a little hard, first because the left branch that it's resting on can break down, (I accidentally  dropped it :( ) Turning it to the other side will cause it to stick out of the tank, and touch the lights.. 

However, I shall buy some java moss, put it on, then think about the position... :)

Thank you all for the help, more pics coming later! :)

Yes and some java fern too, it's a lovely piece though, but wow I couldn't afford a piece like that.

Look forward to pics with plants attached :D

I love the look of that bit of wood - it works very well as a centre piece. As others have said, get a little more plant cover and you'll be all set!

Good job on finding that great bit of wood! :D

I like the centre piece look. The wood has a bit of an arch/tunnel for your fish to swim through so I'd move the plant & keep that free.. Some moss on the wood would look awesome.. Looking forward to an update.. Keep going the wood looks so much better in the centre imo.

I agree with the others, the centre piece looks great! Looking forward to an update & pics!

To me it looks better as a centre piece also! With some greenery on it as suggested I think it would look stunning!!! :)

Looking at that centre piece picture, the right hand side of that wood reminds me of the bow of a boat and going back from that even more of a boat as it widens.
Apologies if I am not describing what I see very well.

If you were to remove what to me appears to a bent aircraft wing, then that would leave a boat shape and you could put the removed part elsewhere in the tank.
Attach plants to the relevant pieces, particulary the boat part and you are looking at a sunken boat wreck?
Just a thought.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back