what goes well with.....

SeanTrollope

Fish Addict
Reaction score
right so in a 4 ft setup (planted) what would go well with featherfin squeaker and tiger barbs.

the water is relatively hard but i cant give precise readings.

the tank is cycled.:kana:

thanks in advance.

ideas for the tank are:
gourami
rams of some sort

but i dont know if this is going to work

I wouldn't keep either of those with tiger barbs, they'd eat the gouramis fins, and rams would probably suffer as well. With tiger barbs you need to have a lot of them in the hope that they will keep their nippiness confined to their own species, but tank mates are better being semi aggressive, active fish that can stand up to the barbs, and no fish with long fins.

can i please get some ideas about fish to add to the tank.

Are the featherfin and tigers in there already? How many tigers?

yes they are. there are 6 barbs (getting more is no problem) although a different species would be great.

Tiger barbs come in three different colours - orange with black stripes, pale orange with white stripes and dark green. One thing you could do is get more tigers but of a different colour so they look like 2 different species. As far as the fish are concerned, they are all tiger barbs and will shoal together.

Agree, and at least double the number to 12 in total. Remember though as someone pointed out, having this species does limit certain tankmates...no sedate fish or fish with long flowing fins.

i have come to realize this. is there a tetra that will work with them.

i have come to realize this. is there a tetra that will work with them.

There probably is one or two species, the larger more active and "stronger" perhaps. I personally would stay with barbs and danios. Most (there are a couple exceptions, some one always points this out when I make generalities) barbs and many of the danios are quite active fish, and that means less chance of being a target. Some of the loaches in a group could work as substrate fish, but the featherfin catfish has to be kept in mind, and frankly I am not certain how this fish would react with loaches present.

Edit: Just occurred to me, nothing was said re water parameters, and most characins are soft to very soft water. If your water is moderately hard or harder as indicated in post #1, the barbs and danios will be a better match on this score. The tankmates will have to be very carefully researched.

Last edited:
A Red Tailed Black or a Rainbow shark should be able to hold its own. A bristlenosed Pleco should be fine.

If you went with 10 Tigers, 5 Cories, an RTBS, and a Bristlenosed Pleco, you'd be fine.

What other sorts of fish interest you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back