What fish will live happly with ropefish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

a1wonder

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just planning ahead, I was thinking about creating an aqaurium around a ropefish that I see frequently at the LFS. Can anyone tell me what type of fish will get along with this playful fish.

African ropefish
African Knife fish:
African Butterflyfish
Pictus cat
Surinam geo
Clown Pleco
Anything that won't fit in it's mouth, really. Are you aware that the ropes get 18 inches long, breathe from the surface, and need a minimum of a 55 gallon tank?

Very aware actually the tank that we are planning will be quite a bit larger. We have beautiful old tube TV resting in our basement at the moment with some modification we are planning on sinking a custom built aquarium into it. The TV is 33inch and has plenty of room inside and solid walnut casing. Right now we are just in the process of ordering the glass from a friend who does commercial windows. Again I mention that the tank will take place in the future and does not exist currently but I’ve made an arrangement with a LFS and our local newspaper about "sponsorship" ie filters, fish, ornaments, and lighting. We've already modied a old Mac into a wonderful cute little beta tank and with that project under our belts and the 10 gal healthy and well underway why not up the challenge. I hope to post some pictures along the way. But my team has decided that at least one of the fish needs to a rope fish.

I've also have been told that rope fish frequently escape from their tank so we do have plans of screening the entire top of aquarium with nylon door screen material and a lock both the aquarium hood and TV case. You may think that this is a bit of over kill but this is also for it's protection. My cat tends to be able to get into anything and although she doesn't tend to care about fish to much I'd hate to come back from university one afternoon to see a half foot of a rope fish hanging out of her chops.

Rope fish are related to bichirs and share many of the same habbits, they can be a little slow to find food as they have poor eyesight and rely on their sence of smell, for this reason it is best to not keep them with any tankmates that are fast open water feeders like large cichlids or barbs etc or the rope fish may starve.

Mine hasn't tried to get out one time yet. Put food in when all the lights are out so they have a chance to get the food :)

Thanks for the good advice, I'll be sure to alot of research into bichirs as their is little infromation about rope fish in books and online.

hello there i had two @ the same time that i got my dragon goby like i say i had mine for about a year then they seemed to both go--- anyway there was lots of hiding places in my tank and then i found one of them swimming around one night anyway he soon went as well.. all later to be found under my tank. One wrapped round my air hose i grabbed hold of the air hose and i felt something snap god i Shat myself then a couple of months later i was moving some cables around, i grabbed hold of one of the cables and that snapped. again i shat myself.
also on the feeding habits i noticed mine to be slow feeders whenever i put in bloodworms but then they got tamer and tamer.
but when little fish went in. They came out like snakes even in the daytime and just pounced on them swallowing them down like proper snakes so i would say they do eat small fish well @ least mine did (they are cool fish)
ps: they are very quick @ sniffing out food when they want to be!!!!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back