what fish to add

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ruffmeister

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
have just got my tanks and am ready to add the next few additions to the tank
i have worked out i can have another 12 fish, and was wondering what would be best to add to the tank and preferably which will get on better and will look good, any suggestions would be class. ;)
at the minute i have 6 guppies in the tank and was wondering which would be best
mollies
platys
tetra (if so which kind)
swordtails
barb
danios

or anything else you could reccommend
cheers guys

Hi and Welcome,
can you please first tell us the following:

1. How big your new tank?

2. Is it cycled (please see my pinned article Avoiding and Treating New Tank Syndrome if you are unsure or new to fishkeeping).

3. What are your current water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, KH and GH), so we can advise you on suitable species?

4. What kind of filter have you got on there and do you have live plants?

TIA.

20 gallon tank
its cycled and has 4 species of live plants
as for the levels i havent tested as of yet but the man a lfs says sfter the time since last fish were added means i can have some more
just some basic info on what of those species would be great
thanks for the reply

If it were my tank, i would add some black skirt tetras, also known as black widows. They like to be with others, so i keep minimum of 3 in there. I think they are very pretty, but have experienced a few that were tail nippers. If you want a really calm tetra, the head and tail lights are very mellow in my opinion. I would also recomend that you get a test kit, it helps alot, and when ever you add more fish to the tank, you need to keep track of the water peramiters, as usually i get a mini cycle. Good luck. Sandy

As I don't know if you have hard or soft water, and whether its acid or alkaline, and whether you have an under-gravel filter or not, I'm just going to have to wing this.

1. Mollies go well with guppies in my experience as they like similar conditions. Mollies like a little salt in their water. They can be a little large for a 20 gal tank, however. Platys are less fussy about the salt, but also go well, as would a pair of swordtails (although I'd check this out on the Livebearer section because I'd be concerned that the male swordtails might go after the guppies tails).

2. Danios go with everything but do like a lot of swimming space and I feel that 20 gals might be too small a space for a school. White Cloud Mountain Minnows like similar conditions, are very pretty, quite tough and quite a bit smaller, so would be ideal for your tank IMHO. White clouds would definitely cause no problems for the guppies but do tend to be in the same area of the tank, towards the top. Remember that minnows and danios are schooling fish and should ideally be in groups no lower than 6-8.

3. Many barbs are great beginner fish, particularly cherry barbs, which are also small. However, avoid tiger barbs like the plague unless you want a species tank as they are true to their name. Cherry barbs and gold barbs are not schooling fish and are great in small groups, as long as you only have one male.

4. Tetras can be nippy so you have to be careful when combining them with guppies. For a small tank, I'd recommend neons, black neons, cardinals, head-and-tail lights and other small tetras (check their adult size when buying). Tetras are schooling fish so need to be in groups of 6-8.

5. Also consider cory catfish and oto catfish as bottom feeders (both are schooling fish). A dwarf plec would be nice, either a bristlenosed or clown pleco which only grow to 3 or 4". As dither fish, rasboras are nice and easy, as are penguin fish.

Ruffmeister,

I'd like to suggest a few corydoras catfish. This will give you a little action on the bottom of your tank. There are many varieties and some of them are quite beautifully marked. They are perky little fish that are quite amusing to watch. :D

If you get corys, however, you will need two or three of them (at least) because they are a schooling fish and do not do as well alone as with others. And, since they do not like salt, it would be better to avoid mollies if you have the corys.

i think zebra danios are fine in a 20 gal. i have some myself, and on many websites, it says they need at least a 20" long tank (im guessing your 20 gal. is). plus they are so sweet :wub: , and feeding is fun cos they splash around trying to get the most food :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Back