what fish should I put in a 55g?

lilmolly

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'd prefer something hardy. Community tank specimens. Substrate will be sand with plastic plants and rocks.

This is an easy one. Angels!!! Along with a school of panda cories. Maybe even sneak a striped raphael in there too.

Lol Knucklehead... I read the title to this thread and then saw that you'd already replied to it and knew it was a waste of my time opening it. :rolleyes: Angels!! It's a no-brainer. ;) If you're not a fan of angels, how about some silver dollars? They're gorgeous fish and gentle enough to share a tank with anybody. Plus, you say you'll have plastic plants, so you won't need to worry about their herbaceous habits.

One big butted Oscar!!!!! Gotta be one with a big butt though....skinny "super-model" type ones just won't cut it!!! Oscars are cool!!! (I don't even have one :sad: )

any of the apistos although you are going to get an very very biast opinion from me and SMB and a few others as we all keep pretty agressive cichlids. I would give you a vote for a nice pair of JD's or GT's and some dithers.

Awwww Juan!!!! Shoot for the Big Butted Oscar!!!

just can't mike I just can't not enough agression. although if I had the free space there is like a 10 incher at my lfs that I want to rescue as he is in a 20 gallon in their fish/ bird/ reptile room

6 dwarf snakeheads :lol:

No seriously choosing fish is a very personal thing, what one person may love another will dislike. I have a thing for predatory fish as i find them more interesting than other more community suited fish but others find the aggressive eating habbits of my fish disturbing and find the smaller more peaceful fish i keep in other tanks more appealing.

Best to find a few fish you like and then ask if they would make good tankmates :nod:

i will never understand why people ask, but then again everyone always does! :lol: personally, i'd head out and pick up the Baesch Aquarium Atlas; flip around, get a feel for some fish. i've fallen in love with Australian Blue Eyes (a fish i never knew existed!) and i'm dead-set on getting at least 6 for the 50g me and my dad are setting up :)

for a 55g, hmm... let's see...

Spotlighters
2 Dwarf Gouramis - 2"

Schoolers
6 Blind Cavefish - 3.5"
6 Boehlkea Frechochui - 2"
6 Emporer Tetras - 2"

Scavengers
6 Leopard Cories - 2"
4 Peppered Cories - 2 3/4"
2 Albino Cories - 2 1/3"

that's simple Gouramis, Characins and Cories. something a bit more difficult, but prettier, to achieve would probably be along the lines of.

Spotlighter
1 Butterflyfish - 4"

Schoolers
8 Celebes Rainbowfish
4 Betta Imbellis - 2"

Scavengers
2 Talking Catfish - 6"

and lastly, simple, easy-to-come buy, but pretty nonetheless

Spotlighter
1 Male Betta

Schoolers
8 Zebra Danios
8 Leopard Danios

Scavengers
8 Albino Cories

=) really, it's all up to you. go with what you want!

(excuse my babble, i got carried away with my atlas -snugs atlas-)

Just one problem with the second list, african butterfly fish are predators and must only be kept with fish that are the same size or bigger, the celebes rainbows and bettas would be light snacks, the bettas may also attack the long fins of the butterfly before it gets to eat them.

I thought about angels. I have very hard water. Don't angels need soft water?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back