What Fish Do You Regret Buying?

All of the sad bettas I had in college... they all managed to live several years but I donā€™t know how... my current betta benefits from my maturity and having learned many lessons the hard way lol

Hey everyone! I've seen this topic on a few fishkeeping yt channels and I thought it would be cool to hear everyones answers on this aswell!
What fish have you owned that you regret owning/buying and why?
Heres a few of mine:
Sailfin Plecostimus - I got one of these when I was Quite young and inexperienced in the hobby, only expecting it to grow to around 7 inches but as we all know, that number is usually triple hahaha.
Three spot gourami - Again I was more inexperienced and had no idea how to handle aggression at the time especially when I wasn't expecting it from the gouramis.
Electric Blue Ram - I had bought a pair a couple months ago but I made a huge mistake by buying them off a huge chain store where they had clear deformities and thinking I was doing them a favour by "rescuing them" they were already too far gone and did not survive further than a week even in good water perametres.
Firemouth Cichlid - A few years ago I was obsessed with these fish and owned a trio, Great fish but destroyed my community which is my own fault for not doing the full research on the breeding activities of these fish and understanding the space needed to succesfully house three let alone one in a community setup.
Last but not least
Bala Shark - As a kid, I saw these in the store and thought "Shark I want!" which ended up me unkowingly buying a fish that grows to over at least 1ft and housing it in a 30 gallon tank, fish stores should definetely make a huge effort to either ensure the customers have suitable tanks or just not sell them at all! Such a beautiful fish that is unfortunately always sold even if you don't have a suitable aquarium and I will always feel awful for the poor bala I bought all those years ago. I hate my decisions for buying all of these fish and I really wish I researched them all before considering buying but it's all learning and I wish I could've been a better fishkeeper for the sake of the fish as I love them all and all animals and people ?
big snails-ughhh. they died and the smell was so gross. and their insides were hanging out. they were expensive too. and i bought 3 of them in total. i guess i thought i would get one to survive. ?

Hmmm good thread... Iā€™ve had a variety of cichlids that havenā€™t worked out the biggest was a severum that killed my Nicaraguan but that was my fault really. Iā€™ve had low activity fish too like plecs but usually not kept them that long. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever accidentally bought a giant which is good as I was prone to impulse buys when I was young
they were called mystery snails i think. the mystery for me was why are they dying and why do i keep buying them! lol

big snails-ughhh. they died and the smell was so gross. and their insides were hanging out. they were expensive too. and i bought 3 of them in total. i guess i thought i would get one to survive. ?
they were called mystery snails i think. the mystery for me was why are they dying and why do i keep buying them! lol
Ewwwwww. I hate my mystery snails. They look so cute with their shells when they are on the sand or the back wall of the tank, but when they are on the front glass they freak me out. They are my sisters snails though so i can't get rid of them :S

Ewwwwww. I hate my mystery snails. They look so cute with their shells when they are on the sand or the back wall of the tank, but when they are on the front glass they freak me out. They are my sisters snails though so i can't get rid of them :S
sorry- do you live with your sister? if not she could take them to her place?
the whole snail experience is a bad visual in my brain- double ughhh!

sorry- do you live with your sister? if not she could take them to her place?
the whole snail experience is a bad visual in my brain- double ughhh!
I feel you're pain haha, My community is infested with pond snails that I have just grown to like as they clean all the algae in my tank so they can stay lol ?

by community- do you mean fish community? i canā€™t imagine a human community with snail invasion ! lol
That could make for an interesting (and very gross) horror film...!

As I wrote that, with the fondness for B movies I have, I thought "I bet it's been done". One google search later, and I found a nicely done little short by VFX students called Esgargore (clever!)

But even better, a 1988 film called "Slugs". An 80s B movie is the best B movie. The whole thing is on youtube, so will be checking that out as soon as possible! Thanks for the inspiration to go looking, the trailer alone had me rolling :rofl:

As I wrote that, with the fondness for B movies I have, I thought "I bet it's been done". One google search later, and I found a nicely done little short by VFX students called Esgargore (clever!)

But even better, a 1988 film called "Slugs". An 80s B movie is the best B movie. The whole thing is on youtube, so will be checking that out as soon as possible! Thanks for the inspiration to go looking, the trailer alone had me rolling :rofl:
thanks! but why is a girl in barely any clothes in a boat during slug attack ?

that trailer is longer than the movie? they pretty much showed all the situations! itā€™s so bad- is it supposed to be a comedy? lol

Because it's a B movie horror :D
that trailer is longer than the movie? they pretty much showed all the situations! itā€™s so bad- is it supposed to be a comedy? lol

It's so bad, it's good!
I'm pretty sure it's solidly tongue in cheek, but I'll let you know when I've watched the whole film, lol

by community- do you mean fish community? i canā€™t imagine a human community with snail invasion ! lol
Ahhh that is terrifying! Imagine alien snails invading haha! I meant fish community but now that I think of it they probably are thinking the snails are all aliens or something ?

I need to watch this movie ?

I need to watch this movie ?
When I get a free evening, I'm gonna be opening some wine, getting tipsy and laughing my butt off watching this. Love the overacting screams! lol. If you like this sort of cringe comedy B movie, I highly recommend The Black Cat (1981). Man, these films are always better to watch with friends though, not alone. Might have to get some people together for an online watch party.

When I get a free evening, I'm gonna be opening some wine, getting tipsy and laughing my butt off watching this. Love the overacting screams! lol. If you like this sort of cringe comedy B movie, I highly recommend The Black Cat (1981). Man, these films are always better to watch with friends though, not alone. Might have to get some people together for an online watch party.
Haha! Sounds awesome :)
I'll have to reccommend some to my friends and do something similar!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back