What Fish Did I See Today?

Big_eyes

Fish Herder
Joined
Oct 5, 2009
Messages
1,111
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
.
Saw a fish today that I really like the look of but haven't a clue what it was. I don't have any pics as I didn't have my phone on me at the time but.........

It was -

-About an inch long
-Pale grey/silver
-Gourami kind of shape
-Had a black spot over it's eye and a vertical black stripe down the back end of it's body.

What was this fish, anyone know?
 
was it like this
http://z.about.com/d/freshaquarium/1/0/M/c/fw4004.jpg

No :(

I wish I had my phone to take a pic. Even the folk in the shop didn't know what it was. :rolleyes:
 
what about this
http://images.google.co.uk/images?gbv=2&hl=en&sa=1&q=pearl+gourami&aq=f&oq=&start=0
 
It was similar shape to
neonbluegourami.jpg
but shorter in the body legnth.
 
like this
http://images.google.co.uk/images?gbv=2&hl=en&sa=1&q=sparkling+gourami&aq=f&oq=&start=0
 
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/744/5010738.JPG

maybe

or a female honey gourami

http://media.photobucket.com/image/female%20honey%20gourami/ckyeo/Fish/_MG_7676s.jpg
 
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/744/5010738.JPG

That's the closest match so far but I'm certain that there was only one spot and the stripe and the spot were the other way around.

I can see me going back in the morning to get a pic lol
 
oww i thought you said it was a gourami but just reread it and you said like a gourami.i dont really know then.
 
Nobody got any better ideas? I can't find anything closer a match than the one above when googling :sad: What fish is that one anyhow? (the one I've said is the closest match)
 
Thats a keyhole cichlid there are a few different cichlids that could have been it. How about the bandit cichlid, Guianacara geayi? Laetacara thayeri maybe ummmmmm maybe a festivum cichlid.

Did it have the long feelers like a dwarf gourami? Or shorter fins in its place?

Wills
 
Didn't have the long feelers no, fins I didn't notice though.

Looking at the pics of keyhole's, it could very possibly be that!
How big do they grow? Suitable with chain loach and otto's?
 
You described a keyhole cichlid as already posted by bae. Some of them have 1 keyhole marking others have 2. They grow to ~4 inches and are quite peaceful fish that would be fine sharing a tank with chain loaches and otos.

Further reading and more pics in their profile on this site:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/65964-keyhole-cichlid/
 

Most reactions

Back
Top