What Does Your Betta Eat?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ben9524

Reaction score
Hi,
I was just shopping around and was wondering what is a common high quality betta fish food. Is there something specific I should be looking for? Let me know if you guys know of any that are really good and easy to transition to (either mainstream or not).

Bettas should be fed floating pellets formulated for bettas. There are several on the market, though some are better quality than others.
Look for a brand that contains whole fish or whole fish meal (not just fish meal) and little in the way of cereal fillers.

Personally, I feed mine pellets, frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms and occasionally bug bite flakes as a "snack".

Last edited:
I feed a mix of Aqueon Betta Pellets and Bug Bites pellets. Occasionally a few OmegaOne flakes to change it up. And i supplement with frozen goods like bloodworms or mysis and brine shrimp.

Mine eat New Life Spectrum Betta food and Omega One. Occasionally they get Rapeshay gel food but not crazy about it. I cut out everything else including blood worms and baby brine shrimp. They just add fat.

I feed a flake food but mainly a variety of live foods daphnia, grindal worm,and fruit flies, when more available bloodworms, and mosquito larvae,

I feed Hikari pellets and dried blood worms, they go nuts for both.

Mine eat New Life Spectrum Betta food and Omega One. Occasionally they get Rapeshay gel food but not crazy about it. I cut out everything else including blood worms and baby brine shrimp. They just add fat.

Do blood worms and brine shrimp really have that much fat? If so i'm cool because i'm trying to get his weight up a little (and it's working), but I was just wondering. Brine shrimp should be a lean protein shouldn't it? What's the fat % for the frozen foods mentioned VS betta pellets? I have so many questions.

The fat is more in the blood worms. Not a lot of nutritional value. I use to feed them a couple of times a week until I was told about the fat. I’m referring to frozen ones. Dried foods are normally much less nutritional. I have found that feeding a high quality food along with Fluval Bug Bites are plenty for my bettas. I do use 2 brands of high quality food plus the bug bites to offer variety. :)

The fat is more in the blood worms. Not a lot of nutritional value. I use to feed them a couple of times a week until I was told about the fat. I’m referring to frozen ones. Dried foods are normally much less nutritional. I have found that feeding a high quality food along with Fluval Bug Bites are plenty for my bettas. I do use 2 brands of high quality food plus the bug bites to offer variety. :)

Noted to limit the frozen blood worms after he's sufficiently chunky. Also brine shrimp is annoying to feed, I usually only do so if it's before a water change or If I have time for a tiny water change after to vac any remnants. What are the other foods you feed if I may ask?

That’s it for me. The New Life Spectrum, Omega One, Wardley Insect Bites, and occasionally the Rapeshay Gel Food. I feed pellets in the morning and insect bites at night. :)

bait/ fishing shop, buy frozen prawn, white bait, blue sardines.
check roses in the garden and tap any aphids into a bucket, feed alive or freeze and use later.
mozzie larve from buckets of water sitting under trees.

That’s it for me. The New Life Spectrum, Omega One, Wardley Insect Bites, and occasionally the Rapeshay Gel Food. I feed pellets in the morning and insect bites at night. :)
Which one is better in your opinion? New Life Spectrum? Or Omega One?

I’m looking for a new food for my neon tetras and my betta. (One that I can use for both.)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back